[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 68000 Cross Assembler & other cross-assemblers SUMMARY

alan@oetl.UUCP (Alan Strassberg) (11/16/89)

In article <89314.012208ESV@PSUVM.BITNET> ESV@PSUVM.BITNET (CAC) writes:
>Does anyone know of a 68000 cross assembler for the IBM PC?
>Anything would do..

	This question comes up alot, here's several sources
	for various micros.

				alan

[From previous net postings for all kinds af cross-assemblers]
An earlier poster requested information about C cross-compilers for
the Intel 8085.  This seemed like a good time to mention that
cross-ASSEMBLERS for a number of micros are available, in portable C
source form, from the C Users Group (McPherson, Kansas).  While this
would be only a partial solution for the original poster, it is a
definite improvement over entering raw hex codes any day. (Ever tried
reading the comments from hex codes (;-) ?)

While I have not personally tried any of these, I understand that they
have been successfully compiled under Aztec C86 & II, CI C86, Eco-C &
C88, HP-UX, Lattice C, Microsoft C, and QNX C.  Certainly the price is
right for anyone with a need for a cross-assembler.  Even if I were
going to have to write the cross-assembler myself, I would look at the
code from a sampling of those listed below for possible use as a
starting point.

The following information is taken from the latest (Sept/Oct '88)
issue of the C Users Journal, grouped by CUG volume number.  The
assemblers in the first group are written by a gentleman named Will
Colley, and include manuals.

Disk	Device(s)
----	---------
CUG149	Motorola 6800, 6801, 6805 family
	RCA 1802, 1805A

CUG219	Intel 8048, 8049
	Rockwell 6502, 65C02

CUG242	Motorola 68HC11 family
	Hitachi 6301 fmaily
	Intel 8051

CUG 267	Intel 8080, 8085
	Signetics 2650
	STM Microelectronics S6 family

CUG 276	Zilog Z80
	Motorola 6804 family

Also available (other authors, not necessarily portable) are:

CUG190	Motorola 68000 cross-assembler (CP/M Aztec C)

CUG148	Texas Instruments 9900/99105 (CP/M BDS C)

CUG volumes are up to CUG276 now, and my CUG Library Directory
(softcover, bound, $10) only goes up through CUG199, so there may be
one or two more.

These disks can be ordered ($8.00 each, specify MSDOS, MAC, or 8" SSDD
format) from:

	The C Users Group
	P.O. Box 97
	McPherson, Kansas  67460
	(316) 241-1065

The C Users Journal is a worthwhile investment of $24/yr (8 issues).
The Sept/Oct issue, for example, includes articles on writing MSDOS
device drivers in C, a Unix device driver for the Microsoft Mouse, and
part VI of an N-part series on 'yacc'.  As an added attraction
(?inducement?), each copy includes a removable disk order form which
helps protect the magazine cover.

> Does anybody know of an assembler for the MOTOROLA MC68HC11 single
> chip microcomputer.  We want it to run on a Gould PN6000 running
> UTX32/2.0 (BSD4.3) and preferably produce a MOTOROLA S-format output file.
> Any information on PD source or commercial software would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

We have a whole family of assemblers for almost any 8-bit chip on the
planet.  One of our consultants wrote them.  They are distributed as
source code and use yacc and lex.  If you have a UNIX system they should
run on it.  $175 for assembler and one set of tables (in your case the
tables are for 6800, 6801, 6803 and 6811).  You can reach us at:
	SSC
	P.O. Box 55549
	Seattle, WA 98155
	(206)FOR-UNIX or 527-3385
	uunet!pilchuck!ssc!sales

CROSS ASSEMBLER SUPPORTS ANY TARGET INSTRUCTION SET

  Boulder, Colorado -- If you're tired of buying a new assembler every
time you use a new microprocessor, or if you need software tools to
support a rare or custom processor, then the CASM retargetable cross
assembler can solve your problem.  Unlike other assemblers which target
only a specific processor, CASM's target instruction set is configured
by a definition file so it can support ANY processor.  Definitions for
many common microprocessors are included in the package.  Users can
customize these or write entirely new definitions to suit their needs.

  During assembly, source parsing and code generation are controlled by
a definition file using a procedural programming language.  When
writing a definition, the user can handle special cases by programming
with IF/THEN/ELSE structures, loops, subroutines, etc. -- using
techniques familiar to any programmer.  This gives CASM a unique level
of flexibility and is far more powerful than the more primitive table-
driven technology.

  The CASM assembler is full-featured, supporting code relocatability
and segmentation, macro and conditional assembly facilities, and
INCLUDE files.  The package includes a linker (CLINK) which combines
separately assembled modules and assigns addresses.  Powerful memory
segmentation gives the programmer as much control over address
assignment as desired.  CLINK can automatically split output files when
multiple ROMs need to be programmed.

  For those working with unusual or proprietary hardware, the CASM
package can generate code for any byte or bus size from 1 to 255 bits.
It has been used for microcode, digital signal processors, and 32-bit
RISC CPUs as well as more mundane 8 and 16 bit microprocessors.

  CASM does not sacrifice speed to get its outstanding flexibility.  On
a 10 MHz AT-compatible computer, CASM assembles a typical source file
at rates of 7,000 to 11,000 lines/minute (up to 230,000 lines/minute
for blank lines).

  The CASM package includes a comprehensive 130-page manual (available
separately for $20, applicable toward the cost of the package).  The
manual contains an extensive tutorial as well as a reference section.

  CASM for MS-DOS computers has been shipping since February 1989, and
lists at $195.  Site licenses and dealer discounts are available.
AnyWare Engineering is working on ports to other computers.

  For more information or to order, contact AnyWare Engineering at
(303) 442-0556.  VISA/MC accepted.

  AnyWare Engineering is a small electronics consulting firm, doing
hardware, software, and firmware design since 1985.  The CASM assembler
was developed to fill AnyWare's own needs and has been in internal use
since January 1987.
--
Alan Strassberg             alan@oetl.scf.lockheed.com
(408) 425-6139              ...!uunet!lstc!oetl!alan