[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pccurses 1.3

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (11/02/89)

Has anybody tried to use pccurs13.arc ?
I got this file from SIMTEL20. I have a hard time compiling it
using MSC 5.1.

In the supplied makefile.msc it has

CFLAGS=		-M$(MODEL) -Ox -W3 -c

I'm not sure with older version of MSC, but I think it has to be :

CFLAGS=		/A$(MODEL) /Ox /W3 /c

This is the first time I use make file in IBM so I'm still strugling.
I might end up asking *you* the compiled version.

Budi
VLSI Lab.            | rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA
Electrical Eng.      | rahardj@ccm.UManitoba.CA
U. of Manitoba       | rahard@ee.UManitoba.CA

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (11/08/89)

I thought for pccurses, you need to use something beside the MAKE
from MSC. And I thought the package come with a file called MAKE.UU
which you can uudecode (may be on unix) to get MAKE.EXE which should
then be used in place of MSC's MAKE to make the pccurses library.

Regards,
Peter Lim.
HP Singapore IC Design Center.

      E-mail address:              plim@hpsgwg
      Snail Mail address:          Peter Lim
                                   Hewlett Packard Singapore,
                                   (ICDS, ICS)
                                   1150, Depot Road,
                                   Singapore   0410.
      Telephone:                   (065)-279-2289

bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov1.163705.2096@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
>Has anybody tried to use pccurs13.arc ?
>I got this file from SIMTEL20. I have a hard time compiling it
>using MSC 5.1.
>
>In the supplied makefile.msc it has
>
>CFLAGS=		-M$(MODEL) -Ox -W3 -c
>
>I'm not sure with older version of MSC, but I think it has to be :
>
>CFLAGS=		/A$(MODEL) /Ox /W3 /c
>
>This is the first time I use make file in IBM so I'm still strugling.
>I might end up asking *you* the compiled version.

When pccurses 1.3 was distributed, there was some confusion. At the
time I did not have reliable News access, so a friend in the US
helped me. I sent him the arc'ed files, and he then submitted them
for posting in comp.sources.misc. My understanding is that on the
way, he did some changes to the makefiles.

However, the above command lines are correct and should work. The
old 4.0 release had both a UNIX-like compiler driver called CL.EXE,
and a more MessDOS-worthy version called MSC.EXE (I talk here about
the small control programs that start the compiler passes). In the
manual appendix about the 4.0 CL command, it was stated that '-'
could be used instead of '/', and -M<model> is a synonym for
-A<model>. This convention has been carried over to 5.1 (although,
admittedly I cannot find any mention about it by scanning the MSC5.1
manual briefly. But I *never* use '/' in my make files - I have
redefined the DOS switch character so I can use '/' to specify file
name pathes.)

But more importantly, you CANNOT use the MicroSoft MAKE.EXE program
to compile pccurses. It is completely brain-dead,  requiring that
the order of makefile statements follow the order of dependency. In
the README file there is a warning about this. In the distribution
there *should* be an executable + manual file for a UNIX-compatible
MAKE utility, which works with the sources and makefiles. Unfortunately,
I really don't know it the MAKE and the README file got through in
original form.

Admittedly, my original makefiles were rather complex - as part of
making, MAKE will re-execute itself with the same makefile but
with new targets. This was a way to easily maintain different memory
models, and is hard to explain in words. I think my note in the
README fie went something like 'just sit back and watch it happen' -
not so easy when it doesn't happen!

The bottom line: Send me a note and I'll mail you the MAKE utility
and the makefiles (damn it, it DOES work for me...).

--
 ====================== InfoVox = Speech Technology =======================
 Bjorn Larsson, INFOVOX AB      :      ...seismo!mcvax!kth!sunic!infovax!bl

richard@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Richard Brittain) (11/11/89)

In article <304@infovax.UUCP> bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) writes:
>In article <1989Nov1.163705.2096@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
>>Has anybody tried to use pccurs13.arc ?
>>I got this file from SIMTEL20. I have a hard time compiling it
>>using MSC 5.1.

I recently compiled this with Turbo-C and NDmake (A very good shareware make).
IMHO, the makefile for this package is about as stringent a test of a make
program as you can find.  I tried Microsoft Make, Borland Make and a public
domain Make and they all failed miserably.  With NDMake, I had to prepend "-"
to some of the commands (mostly the chmods I think) since they seem to exit
with non-zero status for some reason I never worked out - otherwise it works

Richard Brittain,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard

paul@cscnj.csc.COM (Paul Moody) (11/16/89)

In article <304@infovax.UUCP>, bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) writes:
> In article <1989Nov1.163705.2096@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
> >Has anybody tried to use pccurs13.arc ?
> >I got this file from SIMTEL20. I have a hard time compiling it
> >using MSC 5.1.
> >
> In the distribution
> there *should* be an executable + manual file for a UNIX-compatible
> MAKE utility, which works with the sources and makefiles.

With a little work I was able to compile with Polymake from Polytron.
In the copy I retrieved from SIMTEL20, there was no make exe although
the README stated that there should be one.

I only wanted small model with codeview debugging turned on. This
required eleminating the recursive make.

I also added color attributes, although that could stand some cleaning
up.

--
Paul Moody			UUCP: rutgers!cscnj!paul
Computer Sciences Corporation