[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Drive format failure

vertical@wpi.wpi.edu (Anthony D Putorti) (11/08/89)

I am trying to format a hard drive in a Model 25.  The hard drive
mechanism is a Miniscribe 20 meg and the card is a CMS Controller
Card.  When using the low level format in debug, it formats ok.  When
formatting with format c:/s/v it says it can't write the directory.
When using PC tools Disk formatter version 4.11, it returns the error
code: 02h no addr mark c0,h1,s:18

If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.  Please respond
through mail, not in the newsgroup.

					Thank you

						Tony

						vertical@wpi.wpi.edu
						vertical@wpi.bitnet

vertical@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) (11/16/89)

Earlier I posted an article about a problem I was having formatting a
hard drive.  So far, the replies have received have suggested using
fdisk before formatting.  I had been doing that all along though.  For
those who didn't see my earlier message, here it is again:

>I am trying to format a hard drive in a Model 25.  The hard drive
>mechanism is a Miniscribe 20 meg and the card is a CMS Controller
>Card.  When using the low level format in debug, it formats ok.  When
>formatting with format c:/s/v it says it can't write the directory.
>When using PC tools Disk formatter version 4.11, it returns the error
>code: 02h no addr mark c0,h1,s:18
>
>If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.  Please respond
>through mail, not in the newsgroup.
>
>                                       Thank you
>
>                                               Tony
>
>                                               vertical@wpi.wpi.edu
>                                               vertical@wpi.bitnet

To be more specific, the Miniscribe is model 8425 and the Controller
Card is a Western Digital WD1002A-WX1.

					Thanks again,

						Tony
						vertical@wpi.wpi.edu
						vertical@wpi.bitnet

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (11/16/89)

In article <5352@wpi.wpi.edu> vertical@wpi.wpi.edu (Anthony D Putorti) writes:

>code: 02h no addr mark c0,h1,s:18

This means:  cylinder 0, head 1, sector 18.  An address mark is an
"out-of-band" byte that indicates the beginning of the track (it's a byte
which is always completely unique from any data bytes so it never gets
confused with them).

The low level format built into the controller is probably stupid, that is, it
probably doesn't check for errors.  I'm guessing that the first track (or
maybe second- depends if 'h1' is the first or second head) is damaged- just as
your other format program said.  I'm pretty sure that this track must be
flawless for DOS to format.

First, try this:  use fdisk to move the DOS partition to a higher cylinder.
If this doesn't work, then the track fdisk uses is damaged and you're really
screwed.

Second try this:  Most controllers have a way of formatting bad tracks so that
they use alternate tracks.  So, try to find a better low level format program.
Spinwrite is supposed to be very good, maybe it knows how to do this.

If all else fails:  Since the error occured on sector 18, I'd guess that it's
the disk itself that is bad, not any of the electronics.  So if you are really
daring, you might try to move the track zero sensor in a little.  On
miniscibes, I think it is a little optical sensor in which a wing attached to
the stepper motor rotor breaks the light.  There is probably an adjustment
screw with some kind of epoxy poured into it (to prevent tampering?) which you
have to move.  The exact setting of this isn't critical.  It does have to be
stable, however.

Oh, if it turns out that the sensor is in the bubble (in the sealed part of
the disk), don't tamper with it.  If you break the bubble, you will void the
warranty, and the disk will become infinitely flakey.

In article <5641@wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:
>In article <5352@wpi.wpi.edu> vertical@wpi.wpi.edu (Anthony D Putorti) writes:
>This means:  cylinder 0, head 1, sector 18.  An address mark is an
>"out-of-band" byte that indicates the beginning of the track (it's a byte
>which is always completely unique from any data bytes so it never gets
>confused with them).

oops, make 'of the track'= 'of each sector'