[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Gateway 2000 ??

er1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Riedel) (11/13/89)

     I am looking to buy a new 386-based PC system and I am seriously
considering buying from a company called Gateway 2000 (they seem to have
some of the best prices around).  Does anyone have any experiences (good
or bad) with their machines and/or the company itself?  I will most
likely be buying a 20 Mhz 386 system.  Thank you for your support!

Erik Riedel
er1p+@andrew.cmu.edu

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (11/14/89)

In article <0ZLWYd_00WBLQ0w3JO@andrew.cmu.edu> er1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Riedel) writes:

>     I am looking to buy a new 386-based PC system and I am seriously
>considering buying from a company called Gateway 2000 (they seem to have
>some of the best prices around).  Does anyone have any experiences (good
>or bad) with their machines and/or the company itself?  I will most
>likely be buying a 20 Mhz 386 system.  Thank you for your support!
>
>Erik Riedel
>er1p+@andrew.cmu.edu

   A friend of mine purchased a 16 MHz 80286 from them. He'd ordered
DOS and a mouse with it and they forgot to ship it. To their
credit they apologized and shipped both items Blue Label.

   I find them to be a bit pricey. You CAN get better prices if
you are willing to take the time/trouble. But their hardware is
OK.

   Like every mail-order company, the love to hear from you on their
sales line and tend to put you on "Ignore" when you call for
a complaint ot tech support.

Unky Dave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

credit, they apologized

qz@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Qin Zhao) (11/15/89)

In article <4525@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu (David Bank) writes:

>   I find them to be a bit pricey. You CAN get better prices if
>you are willing to take the time/trouble. But their hardware is
>OK.
>
>   Like every mail-order company, the love to hear from you on their
>sales line and tend to put you on "Ignore" when you call for
>a complaint ot tech support.

 I don't agree at this point. I don't know about other mail order
company, but for Gateway 2000, their tech support is satisfied so far.
They will try hard to contact you if you tell them you want to
talk them, and they are not available immediately. As for the machine
they made, I don't have any opinions now since I got their machine one week
ago ( 386SX ). Their price is not the lowest, but closer. I order form them
because I heard some good things about them from this news group before, and
their price is pretty good. I am still testing machine, and also have some
thing needs to talk with them. I may give some more information about
their machine and service in the future.

torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) (11/17/89)

So far my experience with Gateway 2000 has been:

* They are busy to the max.  There's gonna be a lot of 386SX's under
  those Xmas trees this year.

* Their advertised price for their standard 386SX is $2395 but the actual
  is $100 lower "due to instability in the computer chip market etc".  This
  beats whatever I have seen _advertised_.  Some say you can get it for
  less.  Are you perchance referring to a minimum configuration or stuff
  from the grey or black market?

* No built in surge protection.  I bought a basic surge protector for
  $15 at a hardware store.  This is highly recommended.  If you are
  going to use modem you should get one that protects the phone line, too.

* When I first called them I didn't know that they cook each to order.
  They will mail you brochures with options.  You specify disk, Ram,
  video ram, disk backup, and monitor configuration.  They put the system
  together and burn it in.  Shipment is 2 weeks after you order.

* The sales reps know their product.  Slots (6+2), free slots (4+1),
  standard (2x1 MB SIMM) and max (8 MB) ram configuration, VGA colors
  with and without the VGA card upgrade, max disk bays (3+2) etc.

* They don't sell printers.  Buy one locally.

* They return phone calls, but it can take days.  They were faster in
  October.  This is the season for buying discount computers anyway.

* My SX will be shipped on 11/21.  I'll keep you posted.

Torkil Hammer

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (11/17/89)

In article <2936@psivax.UUCP>, torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) writes:
> So far my experience with Gateway 2000 has been:
>
> * They are busy to the max.  There's gonna be a lot of 386SX's under
[stuff deleted about Gateway and their operation]

> * No built in surge protection.  I bought a basic surge protector for
>   $15 at a hardware store.  This is highly recommended.  If you are
>   going to use modem you should get one that protects the phone line, too.

I emphatically disagree that a $15 surge protector is "highly recommended",
and I DO agree that ADEQUATE surge protection IS recommended.  Based on
my experience, a cheap surge protector is worse than nothing: it lulls you
into thinking you are protected when you are NOT.  The basic problem, as
near as I can tell, is REACTION TIME.  A cheap surge protector WILL cut off
the power to the machine, but will react so slowly that it will flip its
breaker AFTER the damage has been done!!!!  The key to surge protection, as
far as I know, is to find one that reacts FAST ENOUGH.  Personally, I've had
pretty good luck with Datashield 85's.  I get'em discounted for about $50
apiece....

The ONLY thing a $15 surge protector is good for is: the convenience of a
single on/off switch.... which really isn't much use as you should leave
the cpu box on all the time anyway....

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science