[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desktop Publishing for the IBM

dchun@girtab.usc.edu (Dale Chun) (11/16/89)

I am in the market for a desktop publishing system for my 80286 compatible.
I am looking into:
			o Page Maker 3.0
			o Ventura Publisher (Base Version)
			o Ventura Publisher (Professional Extension)

although I am open to any suggestions such as the new Microsoft Word 5.0 as a
desktop publisher. I plan to create documents in the range of 5-10 pages using
a good number of text from many different formats (WP 4.2, 5.0; WS 2000 ...).
Cost not to exceed $1500. Just wanna know what you people use in the networld.

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (11/17/89)

>I am in the market for a desktop publishing system for my 80286 compatible.
>I am looking into: ... I plan to create documents in the range of
>5-10 pages ...

I use Publish-It! It's half the price of Pagemaker or Ventura but has
all the commonly use features of these full power DTP programs. Unless
you are doing something really elaborate I recommend this package.
It replaced First Publisher which I do not recommend considering
the number of pages you expect to do.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (11/17/89)

In article <6513@merlin.usc.edu> dchun@girtab.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
>I am in the market for a desktop publishing system for my 80286 compatible.
>I am looking into:
>			o Page Maker 3.0
>			o Ventura Publisher (Base Version)
>			o Ventura Publisher (Professional Extension)
>
>although I am open to any suggestions such as the new Microsoft Word 5.0 as a
>desktop publisher. I plan to create documents in the range of 5-10 pages using
>a good number of text from many different formats (WP 4.2, 5.0; WS 2000 ...).
>Cost not to exceed $1500. Just wanna know what you people use in the networld.

What type of publications are these?  Depending on the "graphicalness" of them,
you might be able to get by with Word 5.0.  If you just want columns, lines,
font-control, and the ability to import graphics occasionally, Word will work
just fine.  However, if your publications are going to heavy on the graphics
effects, go with PageMaker.  I haven't worked with Ventura, but I don't think
that it's as suited to graphical layouts as PM.  Ventura is recommended, though,
for longer documents, but 5-10 pages is really nothing.

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet