[comp.sys.ibm.pc] vi for MS-DOS?

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (11/11/89)

Does anyone know of an MS-DOS version of vi?  I do a lot of work
with both UNIX and MS-DOS and would like to stay with one editor
for both.  vi seems a reasonable choice.

Thanks in advance,

Herb Lison

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (11/11/89)

In article <13219@silica.BBN.COM>,
hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) writes:
>Does anyone know of an MS-DOS version of vi?  I do a lot of work
>with both UNIX and MS-DOS and would like to stay with one editor
>for both.  vi seems a reasonable choice.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Herb Lison

There are at least two versions available in directory
PD:<MSDOS.EDITOR> via FTP from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

Richard Stanton

In article <13219@silica.BBN.COM>, hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) writes:
|  Does anyone know of an MS-DOS version of vi?

  STEVIE was posted to comp.sources.unix recently, you might like that.
There is another package, called pc_vi I believe, available from
simtel20 via ftp or the archive server at sixhub by mail. There is also
a commercial package called pc-vi. You might also look at using
MicroEMACS on all your machines ;-)
that the world is flat!" - anon

beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (11/14/89)

Re:  vi for MS-DOS:

The best version I know of is part of the MKS Toolkit which lists for $249.
Their vi can be purchased separately for $149.

address is:  Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
	     35 King Street North
	     Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2J 2W9
	     519-884-2251/order: 800-265-2797

klc@occrsh.ATT.COM (11/14/89)

<
< address is:  Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
	     35 King Street North
	     Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2J 2W9
	     519-884-2251/order: 800-265-2797

Yes, I agree.  Too bad Custom Software Systems is out of business, their
was even better than MKS's!

Does anyone know if the MKS version supports a  ".exrc" type file with
their vi??  I have the MKS Toolkit (it includes vi) but, it does not say
anything about a ".exrc" type file, any ideas?

Keith Chappell
att!occrsh!klc

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (11/15/89)

In article <1593@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>There is also a commercial package called pc-vi.

There is also MKS VI available from MKS.  I believe PC VI was
from CSS which is no longer in existence because of a dispute
with AT&T.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz) (11/16/89)

beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Re:  vi for MS-DOS:
>
>The best version I know of is part of the MKS Toolkit which lists for $249.
>Their vi can be purchased separately for $149.
>
>>address is:  Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
	     >35 King Street North
	     >Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2J 2W9
	     >519-884-2251/order: 800-265-2797
----------

 I concur.  It is worth PAYING for, and it seems unbreakable.   I didn't
really use my PC until I got this software.

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (11/16/89)

In article <141900042@occrsh.ATT.COM> klc@occrsh.ATT.COM writes:

>Yes, I agree.  Too bad Custom Software Systems is out of business, their
>was even better than MKS's!
>
>Does anyone know if the MKS version supports a  ".exrc" type file with
>their vi??  I have the MKS Toolkit (it includes vi) but, it does not say
>anything about a ".exrc" type file, any ideas?

CSS PC/VI uses a file named vi.ini which can contain set up information of the
same sort as that contained in EXINIT environment on Unix. I have been told that
there is a similar capability in teh MKS VI, but sorry, I don't remember
the name that it expects the file to have.

Fred

schneide@rt8.cs.wisc.edu (Daniel Schneidewend) (11/16/89)

In article <1989Nov14.231504.20173@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:
>In article <1593@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
The 'Z' editor that comes with the AZTEC C package is an excellent
implementaton of VI for the PC.

				Dan Schneidewend
				schneide@garfield.cs.wisc.edu

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (11/17/89)

> Does anyone know if the MKS version supports a  ".exrc" type file with
> their vi??  I have the MKS Toolkit (it includes vi) but, it does not say
> anything about a ".exrc" type file, any ideas?

   Yes, the MKS toolkit vi supports the .exrc file.  Only they name theirs
ex.rc.  It lets you set up all the "set" flags that VI has except showmode
(at least of the ones I use) and also allows the map function.

Ken

jpn@genrad.com (John P. Nelson) (11/17/89)

In article <3746@puff.cs.wisc.edu> schneide@rt8.cs.wisc.edu (Daniel Schneidewend) writes:
>The 'Z' editor that comes with the AZTEC C package is an excellent
>implementaton of VI for the PC.

Yuck.  Either AZTEC has improved their editor immeasurably, or we have
different definitions of the word "excellent".

I bought a copy of Z (standalone, without the compiler) several years ago
when I first started working with a PC.  I found Z to a particularly
deficient implementation of "vi":

->  It is limited to files about 32K in length.  I'm not sure why the
    limit isn't 64K, but it isn't.  Watch out when editing a file near the
    limit too:  delete/yank/paste operations can cause it to run out of
    memory.

->  It doesn't have the "feel" of vi.  While the "most common" functions are
    there, the shortcuts I use all the time are missing.  I found it incredibly
    frustrating to use.

Believe me, the public-domain "stevie" is a MUCH better implementation of
"vi" than Z is.

     john nelson

UUCP:	{decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!jpn
smail:	jpn@genrad.com

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (11/17/89)

In article <141900042@occrsh.ATT.COM> klc@occrsh.ATT.COM writes:
<
<Does anyone know if the MKS version supports a  ".exrc" type file with
<their vi??  I have the MKS Toolkit (it includes vi) but, it does not say
<anything about a ".exrc" type file, any ideas?

Yep, it is called /ex.rc
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

norm@oglvee.UUCP (Norman Joseph) (11/18/89)

From article <141900042@occrsh.ATT.COM>, by klc@occrsh.ATT.COM:
~ Does anyone know if the MKS version supports a  ".exrc" type file with
~ their vi??  I have the MKS Toolkit (it includes vi) but, it does not say
~ anything about a ".exrc" type file, any ideas?

Try "ex.rc".
--
Norm Joseph - Oglevee Computer System, Inc.
  UUCP: ...!{pitt,cgh}!amanue!oglvee!norm

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (11/18/89)

In article <141900042@occrsh.ATT.COM> klc@occrsh.ATT.COM writes:
>Does anyone know if the MKS version supports a  ".exrc" type file with
>their vi??  I have the MKS Toolkit (it includes vi) but, it does not say
>anything about a ".exrc" type file, any ideas?

Yep, it does support it.  Except that it is named ex.rc and is searched
for in the current directory and then the HOME directory.  Note that you
may have to set the HOME environment variable.  The other thing that can
be done is to set the EXINIT environment variable to something like
`so x:/your/own/ex.rc' which will source the named file of commands.