[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Request for a C language performance analyzer

sed@sppy00.UUCP (Steve Driscoll) (11/01/89)

I am looking for a performance analyzer to chart the amount of time spent in
each function of a C program, or better yet, to list the functions in order
of time spent in execution.  Does anyone know of a product which is both
available and working?  I'm interested in both public domain or commercial
products.  Thanks in advance for your help!
--
*** ** * | |    OO     CC   L     CC     //
*** ** * | |   O  O   C     L    C      //

jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) (11/09/89)

I recently saw a demonstration of a program called Inside! which looks like
it does a good performance analysis.  I have not used it yet (my copy is on
order.)  You must specify the compiler which will be used with the product.

Here's the information:

Inside!
$125.00 + $3 s+h

Paradigm Systems Inc.
PO Box 152
Milford, MA 01757
800-537-5043
508-478-0499 in MA

Jim Vallino	Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ
jrv@demon.siemens.com
princeton!siemens!demon!jrv
(609) 734-3331

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (11/18/89)

In article <586@sppy00.UUCP> sed@sppy00.UUCP (Steve Driscoll) writes:
>I am looking for a performance analyzer to chart the amount of time spent in
>each function of a C program, or better yet, to list the functions in order
>of time spent in execution.

The MKS Toolkit has a programme called prof which profiles execution times.
It works on .exe format files and the modules must contain a symbol table
produced by CodeView or Plink86.  It's possible to create this kind of
symbol table from a .map file using the unstrip command which is also
in the MKS Toolkit.  Send me mail if you have any questions.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy