[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ADF wanted for Model 80 memory

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (11/17/89)

I have a PS/2 Model 80-111. It has 2Mb on the system board, and a further
2Mb on an MCA expansion card (yes, I know there can be 4Mb on the system
board, but that's how it was supplied).

When I first ran the Reference Disk (this is a new machine) it reported
2Mb of Installed memory and 4Mb of Usable Memory. I ran auto configure
and it said it didn't know about the memory card (or rather, that there was
an unidentified card present). This would seem to indicate that the ADF is
missing.

There *is* an ADF (Adapter Description File) on the Reference Diskette
for a Memory Expansion Adapter, ID 0FAFFH. However, this doesn't seem
to be the right one. I know that there are probably two kinds of 32-bit
memory card; one with daughterboards (3 x 2Mb) and one with SIMMs (4 x 2Mb).
I have the one with SIMMs; its part number is 90X9369.

Does anyone have the ADF for this card? Could they please mail it to me
since it is very short? I am pursuing the problem with the dealer but I suspect
the net is faster and more reliable...
--
           Bob Eager
           rde@ukc.UUCP

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (11/20/89)

In article <3156@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, rde@ukc.ac.uk (me) wrote:
> I have a PS/2 Model 80-111. It has 2Mb on the system board, and a further
> 2Mb on an MCA expansion card (yes, I know there can be 4Mb on the system
> board, but that's how it was supplied).
>
> When I first ran the Reference Disk (this is a new machine) it reported
> 2Mb of Installed memory and 4Mb of Usable Memory. I ran auto configure
> and it said it didn't know about the memory card (or rather, that there was
> an unidentified card present). This would seem to indicate that the ADF is
> missing.
>
> There *is* an ADF (Adapter Description File) on the Reference Diskette
> for a Memory Expansion Adapter, ID 0FAFFH. However, this doesn't seem
> to be the right one. I know that there are probably two kinds of 32-bit
> memory card; one with daughterboards (3 x 2Mb) and one with SIMMs (4 x 2Mb).
> I have the one with SIMMs; its part number is 90X9369.
>
> Does anyone have the ADF for this card? Could they please mail it to me
> since it is very short? I am pursuing the problem with the dealer but I suspect
> the net is faster and more reliable...

I have since managed to read the adapter ID from the card. It is FCFFh. This
value will appear as the AdapterID in the correct ADF file. Please, some
kind soul must have this!
--
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury