[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA & Mouse Problem. Help Needed!

iiitird@cybaswan.UUCP (Ian R.W.Dixon) (11/13/89)

I have an ATI EGA Wonder card and colour monitor in use with
a Genius mouse. The monitor is set to mode 16 (10Hex), 640*350
pixels, 4 colour. The mouse graphics cursor is erasing or changing
the colour of the screen graphics underneath it.

I found the mouse manual totally confusing. Can anyone please help.

Please mail direct to me.

Thanks in advance.

Iain

VANHAESKOLA@cc.helsinki.fi (Jari 'Jarppa' Vanha-Eskola) (11/20/89)

In article <863@cybaswan.UUCP>, iiitird@cybaswan.UUCP (Ian R.W.Dixon) writes:
> I have an ATI EGA Wonder card and colour monitor in use with
> a Genius mouse. The monitor is set to mode 16 (10Hex), 640*350
> pixels, 4 colour. The mouse graphics cursor is erasing or changing
> the colour of the screen graphics underneath it.

  This problem only occurs using Genius mouse's own driver. The only
  solution I have found is to boot up the computer with the mouse in
  Microsoft mode and then using Microsoft's mouse driver.

Jari Vanha-Eskola     		Bitnet:		VANHAESK@FINUH
University of Helsinki		Internet:	vanhaeskola@cc.helsinki.fi

  		"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"

d88-eli@nada.kth.se (Erik Liljencrantz) (11/20/89)

In article <1488@cc.helsinki.fi> VANHAESKOLA@cc.helsinki.fi (Jari 'Jarppa' Vanha-Eskola) writes:
>In article <863@cybaswan.UUCP>, iiitird@cybaswan.UUCP (Ian R.W.Dixon) writes:
>> I have an ATI EGA Wonder card and colour monitor in use with
>> a Genius mouse. The monitor is set to mode 16 (10Hex), 640*350
>> pixels, 4 colour. The mouse graphics cursor is erasing or changing
>> the colour of the screen graphics underneath it.
> This problem only occurs using Genius mouse's own driver. The only
> solution I have found is to boot up the computer with the mouse in
> Microsoft mode and then using Microsoft's mouse driver.

I have the same hardware (ATI EGA & Genious) and my solution (when writing
programs myself) is to first set the graphics mode and then initialize the
mouse driver. If I do it the other way (first initialize mouse and then set
graphics mode) the result is as described above...

But Microsoft Word (5.0) is another story. I believe it uses some undocumented
or in the Genious case, unsupported calls to the mousedriver. Using the MS
driver might correct this problem...
--
Erik Liljencrantz     | "No silly quotes!!"
d88-eli@nada.kth.se   |  Embraquel D. Tuta