[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SCSI Controllers & disks

alan@km4ba.UUCP (Alan Barrow) (11/13/89)

Can anyone recommend any good preforming, but reasonably priced alternatives
to the seagate 296? How does the Conner 100Mb compare?

The Adaptec 1542 looks like the contoller to have!

Thanks,

Alan Barrow
hplabs!hp-col!hpuagaa!km4ba!alan

neese@adaptex.UUCP (11/14/89)

>Can anyone recommend any good preforming, but reasonably priced alternatives
>to the seagate 296? How does the Conner 100Mb compare?
>
>The Adaptec 1542 looks like the contoller to have!

The Conner CP3100 is a slightly better performer than the Seagate, but be
careful.  The Conner has a problem with other devices that want to
arbitrate for the SCSI bus.  In this capacity range the best behaved
drive is the Quantum PRO80S.  I recommend it highly.  It is not the cheapest
in its capacity range, but it is the best value going.  It also
happens to be the best performing drive in its class.  Bottom line: You
can't do any better than the Quantum drive for a SCSI application.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (11/15/89)

In article <311@km4ba.UUCP> alan@km4ba.UUCP (Alan Barrow) writes:

>The Adaptec 1542 looks like the [SCSI] contoller to have!

The 1542(A) (and others, such as the WD, as far as I know) have a
problem, in their current implementation, working together with
386^MAX (from Qualitas).  In short, they DON'T work together.

The technical support folks at Qualitas they are aware of the
problem but that it has to be solved in the SCSI controller's BIOS
routines.  Something about properly identifying some buffer meory or
something used by the controller that conflicts with whtat 386^MAX
is trying to do.

I've called the Adaptec SCSI guru a couple of times, leaving
messages for a return call, but so far no response.  I'll update
this note when/IF I find out anything.

Bottom line: I still use the 1542A, but I'm switching from 386^MAX
to a slightly different scheme, using VM/386, and I'll set up one
virtual machine to do the networking (the reason for needing 386^MAX
in the first place is the ungodly amount of memory PC-NFS hogs).

kEITHe

neese@adaptex.UUCP (11/16/89)

>>The Adaptec 1542 looks like the [SCSI] contoller to have!
>>
>The 1542(A) (and others, such as the WD, as far as I know) have a
>problem, in their current implementation, working together with
>386^MAX (from Qualitas).  In short, they DON'T work together.
>
>The technical support folks at Qualitas they are aware of the
>problem but that it has to be solved in the SCSI controller's BIOS
>routines.  Something about properly identifying some buffer meory or
>something used by the controller that conflicts with whtat 386^MAX
>is trying to do.

The problem is the 1542 and WD7000 are bus masters and as such require
physical addresses be passed in the INT13 call.  With the 386 in virtual
mode this can't happen.  A dirty fix for Windows 386 was to do a driver
that allocated an amount of memory as a buffer.  The driver would then
intercept the INT13 call and pass the address of the buffer to the 1540
and then when the command completed, move the data from the buffer to
the funny address via a move string instruction.  This works okay with
Windows as Windows doesn't move the lower 640K of memory around, so the
logical address in the lower 640K is also the physical address.  This is
not the case with 386^MAX.  It moves everything around and thus the driver
has no physical address to use.  There is absolutely nothing that can be done
in the BIOS of the 1540 and the WD7000 to correct this.  There are two
ways to correct this problem.  One is the application could be made to pass
a physical address to the adapter BIOS.  This is fairly trivial for the
application to do this as it has full access to the 386 page registers.
BIOS's do not have privilege to these registers.  The other way is to
standardize on a call that a BIOS might make that would return a physical
address.  There is currently a move in this direction, but I don't know the
status of this.

>I've called the Adaptec SCSI guru a couple of times, leaving
>messages for a return call, but so far no response.  I'll update
>this note when/IF I find out anything.

My calls are all screened.  If you are not a OEM or distributor in my
region, then I cannot return a call, and probably won't even get the
message.  I worked this deal out with my boss.  I can respond to the
net and can E-mail as well, but I cannot accept calls from those that
I do not have responsibility for.  I already get up to 60 calls a day
from the people I am responsible for.  I do not want to sound like a
horse's-ass, but I don't make the rules.

>Bottom line: I still use the 1542A, but I'm switching from 386^MAX
>to a slightly different scheme, using VM/386, and I'll set up one
>virtual machine to do the networking (the reason for needing 386^MAX
>in the first place is the ungodly amount of memory PC-NFS hogs).

Be sure to ask the VM386 folks if they have gotten the support for the
1542.  They were working on it last I had heard.

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (11/21/89)

In article <6100031@adaptex> neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:

>>I've called the Adaptec SCSI guru a couple of times, leaving
>>messages for a return call, but so far no response.  I'll update
>>this note when/IF I find out anything.

>My calls are all screened.  If you are not a OEM or distributor in my
>region, then I cannot return a call, and probably won't even get the
>message.  I worked this deal out with my boss.  I can respond to the
>net and can E-mail as well, but I cannot accept calls from those that
>I do not have responsibility for.  I already get up to 60 calls a day
>from the people I am responsible for.  I do not want to sound like a
>horse's-ass, but I don't make the rules.

For the record, (and I've emailed to Roy about this, too) I wasn't
trying to call Roy but someone else in Adaptec's SCSI interface
engineering department.  I didn't include the other person's name in
my posting specifically to save him from getting umpteen calls a day
asking "how do I put the jumpers on my card" that I know would result.

I very thankful for the responses we get from Roy; I was
surprised, actually, that he had the time to answer my posting.

kEITHe