[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for info on Quicken 3.0

miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) (11/07/89)

I have Quicken 2.0 and am thinking of upgrading to 3.0.  Before I do that
though, I want to know what 3.0 has that 2.0 doesn't.  Specifically, I'm
hoping that the Reconcile function from the check register will now let you
specificy an end date to reconcile through.  (I don't usually get my
statements until halfway through the month, and I wish I could tell it to
only reconcile through the end of the previous month.)  Any info on
improved/new functionality that anyone could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Herb Miller

Hewlett-Packard           Apollo Systems Division
MS CHA-01-LT              508/256-6600  x6233
15 Elizabeth Drive        ARPA: miller_h@apollo.hp.com
Chelmsford, MA 01824      UUCP: ....mit-eddie!apollo!miller_h

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (11/07/89)

In article <46ad4650.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) writes:

> I have Quicken 2.0 and am thinking of upgrading to 3.0.  Before I do that
> though, I want to know what 3.0 has that 2.0 doesn't.  Specifically, I'm
> hoping that the Reconcile function from the check register will now let you
> specificy an end date to reconcile through.

Quicken 3.0 is way better than 2.0.

  It has the feature you mentioned, but in a slightly different form.
  It allows you to specify a numerical range of checks to mark as
  cleared, rather than having to mark them individually, as in 2.0.

  It also lets you set up accounts for your credit cards and for other
  assets and liabilities you may have.

  It allows you to transfer funds between accounts with a single transaction
  rather than one debit and one credit.

  It allows subcategories and classes, which are new ways of categorizing
  transactions.

  It lets you customize your reports.

If you purchased 2.0 fairly recently, you may be eligible for a reduced
price on the upgrade.  Call Intuit and ask -- mine was $8, making it a
no-brainer to upgrade.

--
Bob Weissman      <bob@omni.com>
UUCP:             ...!{apple,pyramid,sgi,tekbspa,uunet}!koosh!bob

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (11/07/89)

In article <46ad4650.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) writes:

>I have Quicken 2.0 and am thinking of upgrading to 3.0.  Before I do that
>though, I want to know what 3.0 has that 2.0 doesn't.  Specifically, I'm
>hoping that the Reconcile function from the check register will now let you
>specificy an end date to reconcile through.  (I don't usually get my
>statements until halfway through the month, and I wish I could tell it to
>only reconcile through the end of the previous month.)  Any info on
>improved/new functionality that anyone could give me would be appreciated.

Quicken 3 will do lots of things that Quicken 2 won't do.  Too many to
list.

W.R.T. reconciling, Quicken won't let you reconcile to a date before
the current date, but I can't see where that would be an advantage
anyway.  All checks written after the statement date are outstanding.
Quicken 3 will let you designate a reconciliation date fro its
reconciliation report.  It lists separately the outstanding
transactions dated before and after that date.  Does this serve your
purpose?

hh

gutierre@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (11/21/89)

[sorry for replying to an old article, but I'm catching up on 500+ articles]

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
>miller_h@apollo.HP.COM (Herbert Miller) writes:
>>
>> I have Quicken 2.0 and am thinking of upgrading to 3.0.  Before I do that
>> though, I want to know what 3.0 has that 2.0 doesn't.  Specifically, I'm
>> hoping that the Reconcile function from the check register will now let you
>> specificy an end date to reconcile through.
>
>Quicken 3.0 is way better than 2.0.

As an ex employee of Quicken (I worked in Customer Support) V.3 is much
better than V.2 *IF* you use all of the features of it *AND* have multiple
accounts. Otherwise, stick to Ver 2.

Warnings about Q-3. Make sure you have Release 4 or later (they're up to
5 when I left 1 month ago). DO NOT USE RELEASE 1!!!  R-1 had a potential
bad file handling problem. Just call customer support and tell them you
have R-1, they'll send you a new release immediately. To find out the
release, type "r" at the main menu and look in the lower right hand
corner. It will say "Release X".

Customer support just got a VERY expensive phone system last month also,
and the busy signals are a thing of the past with them. Remember, support
is free, period. Problem is, it's a long distance call (Menlo Park, Ca.)

Other Warnings: With ALL versions, do *NOT* use (repeat: DO NOT!!) ANY
memory swapping programs with any Quicken.X versions. The problem is
Quicken loads the account in as much memory as possible, and if you
swap the program out (ie: PC Tools, Swap, etc...), the memory pointers
WILL corrupt, and when you swap back into Quicken, it will write those
corrupt pointers into your account files (Ver 2) or Account Group files
(Ver 3). If you do, your 60k file will turn into a 1 meg file REAL fast,
and you'll just make Bruneau (the disk recovery person) more depressed
when you need to send the file into him.

Oh yes, NO TSR's EITHER!!!  Quicken will attempt to clobber them, and
then you get the same results as above.

Other tips. Use rebuild (Ctrl-Z) sparingly. Used to rebuild the speedup
file (pointer file).

Use copy-shrink (ver 3) as much as possible. Copy-Shrink has filters
in it to de-corrupt files. Just do Copy-Shrink the whole group, and
keep the old acct group as a back-up. That's the first thing disk
recovery does when we got a disk in.

>If you purchased 2.0 fairly recently, you may be eligible for a reduced
>price on the upgrade.  Call Intuit and ask -- mine was $8, making it a
>no-brainer to upgrade.

This is true. I believe the cut-off was when V.3 was released (May???).
I never paid attention to Telemarketing, so I'm not too sure. They do
have an 800# (call 800 information for the #).

>Bob Weissman      <bob@omni.com>

| Robert Gutierrez -- NSI Network Ops Center <gutierre@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov> |
| NASA Science Internet Project, Bldg 233-8, Moffett Field, CA. 94035-5000 |
|"I want some......I need some......Emotion.....And More........" (a song) |