[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WX1

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (11/13/89)

Hi all IBM PC guru's!

I have an OLD Turbo XT , and I just got a used hard drive from a
guy I know.

I would like to reformat this drive from scratch as I have developed one
nagging sector error.

It is a hardcard of unknown origin (no label) that has a 20MG Rodyme 3.5
inch hard drive on it, and a Winchester WX1 half card HD controller.

Does anyone know the DEBUG commands to get the WX1 low-level stuff to run?
It is on the WX1 ROM somewhere...

Is there any way with debug to grab the drive geometry from the system
somewhere?

  So Lord, I'd think you more than wise, (and me much less a jerk)
  if only once you might supply.....
                        SOME PENGUIN WINGS THAT WORK!"  Opus

 Kenneth J. Jamieson ---- THE BOSS at Xanadu Enterprises Inc.
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, The Penthouse ]I[ BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (11/14/89)

I don't know the exact debug commands for a low-level format on the XT
WD controller, but I do know that the address of the ROM on the card
usually starts at C800:0000.  You might try jumping there (-g =C800:0000)
but I think you probably have to have a function number in AH or AX to
tell it what to do.  Hope this helps.

P.S. I think that Opus should go on the editorial page.  It's always
politically oriented and seldom funny.  Same for Pogo.  and Doonsbury.

kirk%enterprise@Sun.COM ('Captain' Kirk DeHaan) (11/15/89)

From article <45@qmsseq.imagen.com>, by pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins):
> I don't know the exact debug commands for a low-level format on the XT
> WD controller, but I do know that the address of the ROM on the card
> usually starts at C800:0000.  You might try jumping there (-g =C800:0000)
> but I think you probably have to have a function number in AH or AX to
> tell it what to do.  Hope this helps.

Both controllers I have used have presented a menu.  You only need to
jump to C800:0000 as mentioned previously.

* 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan		|	"There's a lot to be said  *
*  Sun Microsystems Inc.	|	  For a blow to the head"  *
*				|				   *
*  net - kirk@sun.com		|	      Blue Oyster Cult     *
*  packet - n6sxr.ampr.org	|				   *
*				|				   *

akcs.graf_e@tronsbox.UUCP (Graf Eberstein) (11/18/89)

>Does anyone know the DEBUG commands to get the WX1 low-level stuff to run?
>It is on the WX1 ROM somewhere...

Geez... I know the answer (ie the DEBUG address), and have it lying around
here somewhere... no somewhere else... it keeps moving... (sigh)

Off the top of my head it is something like C000:5 (?). Will let you know
for sure shortly.

| graf_e (Graf Eberstein)  Penthouse ]I[: 201/759-8450,8568  to 2400Bd |
| Modeming since 1980       E-MAIL: tronsbox!akcs.graf_e@ddsw1.mcs.com |
| I'm back... back with a vengance. So watch out because 80386's rule! |

dgaulden@dcscg1.UUCP (David E. Gaulden) (11/21/89)

In article <[2563d6c7:18.1]comp.sys.ibm.pc;1@tronsbox.UUCP> akcs.graf_e@tronsbox.UUCP (Graf Eberstein) writes:
>>Does anyone know the DEBUG commands to get the WX1 low-level stuff to run?
>>It is on the WX1 ROM somewhere...

Most 8 BIT WD controllers use G=C800:5.  Adaptec 8 BIT RLL uses G=C800:ccc.
Most 16 BIT controllers use G=C800:5.  Some 16 BIT controllers have the
ability of changing the load address to D800.
 IRL:Dave Gaulden                    |     "Man who says, 'It cannot be done',
     DCSC Columbus, Ohio             |      Should not interrupt man who is
     dgaulden@dcsc.dla.mil           |      doing it."

shawni@redsun.UUCP (Shawn Instenes) (11/21/89)

>Does anyone know the DEBUG commands to get the WX1 low-level stuff to run?
>It is on the WX1 ROM somewhere...

From the debug prompt ('-'), type:

G=C800:5

--
Shawn Instenes     UUCP:...!nosun!qiclab!redsun!shawni
Senior Programmer, Research Dept., Portland (OR) Public Schools