[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anybody used 4DOS version 2.21

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (10/25/89)

G'Day,

	I recently downloaded 4DOS version 2.21 from a bulletin board and have
installed it on my PC's at work and home.  It looks to be a VERY good product
so far with many enhancements over command.com.  Has anybody else used it adn
if so have you found any problems with it?  I am running it on 286 systems
under MS-DOS 3.3.  Also, is version 2.21 the latest?  It is so far in Australia
but we can be a bit slow in the update department sometimes.

|                                       | Internet: wales@gidday.enet.dec.com |
|  David Wales - Sydney Australia       | DEC Easynet: gidday::wales          |
|                                       | FIDOnet:  3:712/502   (Paragon BBS) |
|  "Only 38 years 'till retirement!"    | UUCP:   decwrl!gidday.enet!wales    |
|                                       |                                     |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and      | Voice:  (61) 2 868-3937 (H)         |
|  mine only!                           |         (61) 2 412-7334 (W)         |
|                                       |                                     |

hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (10/26/89)

From article <5706@shlump.nac.dec.com>, by wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales):
> G'Day,
>
> 	I recently downloaded 4DOS version 2.21 from a bulletin board and have
> installed it on my PC's at work and home.  It looks to be a VERY good product
> so far with many enhancements over command.com.  Has anybody else used it adn
> if so have you found any problems with it?  I am running it on 286 systems
> under MS-DOS 3.3.  Also, is version 2.21 the latest?

I got a copy of the DEMO version of 2.0 and after using it for 1 day I sent
my money in to register and got 2.11.  2.11 had a very small number of
well documented bugs which were in features I did not use hardly ever.
About 2 weeks later, they sent me a FREE upgrade to 2.2.  Usually the
registration covers the next upgrade, but since there were bugs, they
did not count 2.2 as my upgrade, so I still have one left.  Yes, as
far as I know, 2.21 would be the latest upgrade.  If 2.3 had come out,
they would have notified me.

I have been using it for about 3-4 months now and it is FANTASTIC!!
The alias capabilities and swap out to EMS really make my working
environment slick.  Their enhancements of batch file handling
are also top notch.  I have not found any problems using this product
as yet.

A colleague of mine who tried it out, did not fare so well, but it
still has not been proven that 4DOS was at fault.  He uses CADKEY,
a gigantic application and his Zenith was locking up now and then
and losing files.  Could not be traced, but my suspicion is that
4DOS is not compatible with ALL clones.

I am running DOS 3.2 on a DTK 286 motherboard.  Try 4DOS, you'll
like it.  I am not associated with JP Software, just a VERY
satisfied customer.
	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

        uunet!megatek!hollen       or  hollen@megatek.uucp

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (10/28/89)

In article <5706@shlump.nac.dec.com>, wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
> G'Day,
>
> 	I recently downloaded 4DOS version 2.21 from a bulletin board and have
> installed it on my PC's at work and home.  It looks to be a VERY good product
> so far with many enhancements over command.com.  Has anybody else used it adn
> if so have you found any problems with it?  I am running it on 286 systems
> under MS-DOS 3.3.  Also, is version 2.21 the latest?  It is so far in Australia
> but we can be a bit slow in the update department sometimes.

Yes, 2.21 is the latest version.  I used it for less that a day
before I sent my money in and registered.  It does command
recall and editing as well as aliasing, so I don't need CED
anymore, the directory command is sufficiently versatile that I
don't need LS, rename and move eliminate MV, etc.  Plus the thing
only needs a couple k of memory when swapping to EMS and the
swapping is so fast you never notice it.  I don't know how I ever
got along without it.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"I have plenty of good sense.  I just choose to ignore it."
-Calvin

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (10/29/89)

In article <933@sdrc.UUCP>, scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:
> In article <5706@shlump.nac.dec.com>, wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
>>
>> 	I recently downloaded 4DOS version 2.21 from a bulletin board and have
>> installed it on my PC's at work and home.  It looks to be a VERY good product
>> so far with many enhancements over command.com.  Has anybody else used it adn
>> if so have you found any problems with it?  I am running it on 286 systems
>> under MS-DOS 3.3.  Also, is version 2.21 the latest?  It is so far in
>> Australia
>> but we can be a bit slow in the update department sometimes.
>
> Yes, 2.21 is the latest version.  I used it for less that a day....
       ^^^^
          |-- (turn nit-pick mode on)

Sorry, but I just downloaded 4dos22a.zip from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu on
10-26-89. It's a great product and I'll be sending the registration form in
as soon as payday roles around :)  The on-line help program is especially nice
since I'm almost always dealing with inexperienced DOS people. The only problem
I've seen with it is that it takes more memory than command.com if you don't
have EMS.

--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (10/29/89)

In article <2853@hydra.gatech.EDU>, bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
> In article <933@sdrc.UUCP>, I wrote:
> > Yes, 2.21 is the latest version.  I used it for less that a day....
>        ^^^^
>           |-- (turn nit-pick mode on)
>
> Sorry, but I just downloaded 4dos22a.zip from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu on
> 10-26-89.

Say what?!?  I just got 2.21 direct from J.P. Software (the
author/vendor).  If there's a more recent version, it came out
less than 9 days ago, which I sincerely doubt.

> The only problem
> I've seen with it is that it takes more memory than command.com if you don't
> have EMS.

Not if you let it swap to disk, it isn't.
----

garym@ulysses.UUCP (Gary Murphy) (11/01/89)

In article <5706@shlump.nac.dec.com>, wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
> G'Day,
>
> 	I recently downloaded 4DOS version 2.21 from a bulletin board and have
> installed it on my PC's at work and home.  It looks to be a VERY good product
> so far with many enhancements over command.com.  Has anybody else used it adn
> if so have you found any problems with it?  I am running it on 286 systems
> under MS-DOS 3.3.  Also, is version 2.21 the latest?  It is so far in > >
> Australia but we can be a bit slow in the update department sometimes.

I tried 4DOS and was much impressed, for about a week ...

This is not to detract from a fine product that will probably suit
most users, it's just that where it failed started to get bothersome.

The first to find a bug (which is documented) was my 4-year old who
tried to run PC-PaintBrush.  Since APPEND is not allowed, and since this
program doesn't support any sort of environment settings, I could no
longer have PC-PaintBrush load itself in her directory, and there is no
way a 4 year old is going to click through directory after directory
trying to find her name.  A minor point, but important if you depend on
append to overcome other brain-dead software.

My brother found the second bug (undocumented) when he tried to load
a pop-up utility to get on-line help (QHELP).  The TSR would not load, and
further testing found a number of TSR's which did not load.

I _liked_ 4DOS and really enjoyed it where it worked.  From a features
point of view, the only shortcoming compared to ANARKEY (which sometimes
just stops working) is the lack of file/directory name completion.  I'm
on the lookout for the next versions in hopes of better compatibility with
TSRs, and in the meantime, I'm keeping my backups of my 4DOS CONFIG and
Autoexec files at the ready.

--
Gary Murphy                   decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!garym
                              (garym%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net)

richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) (11/08/89)

>In article <7362@ulysses.UUCP> garym@ulysses.UUCP (Gary Murphy) writes:
>
>  [discussion regarding 4dos v. 2.21]
>
>  I _liked_ 4DOS and really enjoyed it where it worked.  From a features
>  point of view, the only shortcoming compared to ANARKEY (which sometimes
>  just stops working) is the lack of file/directory name completion.  I'm

  Try the updated version, 4DOS v. 2.22 - it has file/directory name
completion. As for your complains about the lack of APPEND, isn't it
possible for you to deal with the problems using SETLOCAL and ENDLOCAL ?
  They make you able to totally re-configure your system parameters,
e.g. change your path to include whatever you need, in a local block
in a batch file (you probably know that allready).
  I picked up my new 4dos22.arc at wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4).

/Richard Flamsholt

mckeonj@ul.ie (JOHN MCKEON: STYX RBBS-PC LIMERICK) (11/18/89)

poffen@chomolungma (Russ Poffenberger) (11/21/89)

In article <971@ul.ie> mckeonj@ul.ie (JOHN MCKEON: STYX RBBS-PC LIMERICK) writes:
>In article <2853@hydra.gatech.EDU>, bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:

>>> Yes, 2.21 is the latest version.  I used it for less that a day....
>>        ^^^^
>>           |-- (turn nit-pick mode on)
>>
>> Sorry, but I just downloaded 4dos22a.zip from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu on
>> 10-26-89. It's a great product and I'll be sending the registration form in
>> as soon as payday roles around :)  The on-line help program is especially nice
>> since I'm almost always dealing with inexperienced DOS people. The only problem
>> I've seen with it is that it takes more memory than command.com if you don't
>> have EMS.

I too downloaded 2.2 from a bulletin board and it is now the only command
processor I use. Command.com doesn't even compare. The only irritating thing
I have found is using it with extended text modes on a VGA monitor, the help
window gets all scrambled and such. Other than that (since command.com doesn't
have it at all, I can't complain much), it has been working flawlessly. I
specially like the alias feature. Since I use unix all day at work on a Sun
workstation, I can set up aliases like ls, mv, cp, and more that mirror the
unix functions quite nicely.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254
-------------------------
In a dictatorship, people suffer without complaining.
In a democracy, people complain without suffering.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov21.052049.19032@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>I too downloaded 2.2 from a bulletin board and it is now the only command
>processor I use. Command.com doesn't even compare. The only irritating thing
>I have found is using it with extended text modes on a VGA monitor, the help
>window gets all scrambled and such. Other than that (since command.com doesn't
>have it at all, I can't complain much), it has been working flawlessly. I

I have found another problem with 4dos 2.2a:  With a very few programs,
when I exit to DOS all of my available memory has gone away.  One program
this happens with is Hijaak from Inset Systems, but only when I load the
screen capture utility from their menu.  There isn't even enough memory to
load the program to remove the utility from memory...and it's only 286 bytes.
The other program I have experienced this with is a program written by a
friend of mine (Function Plotter by Adrian Mariano).