[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Maximum Throughput With a Courier HST

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (11/20/89)

I just got some Courier HSTs, and I would like to know how to get
the maximum throughput connected at 14,400 bps.  The manual suggests
that you set your comm software for 38.4K bps to allow maximum data
transfer between the computer and the modem.  I am using Procomm,
and whenever I set the baud rate to anything other than 9600 bps I
am not able to use the modem at 9600 bps.  My dial string is: AT&B1&H1X6DT.

One other question: without having to perform a test,
how can I verify that I am connecting to another
HST at 14.4K bps?  The connect message is: CONNECT 9600.

Thanks,
Will              (sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Will)

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (11/21/89)

In article <24239@cup.portal.com> Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes)
writes:
> I just got some Courier HSTs, and I would like to know how to get
> the maximum throughput connected at 14,400 bps.

(1) Set up a 9600bps connection between two Couriers.
(2) Send lots of zeros so that the compression algorithm in the modem has
    something to compress.

The HST uses a 9600bps modulation scheme, and 14.4kb/s claims are for
modulation speed * compression ratio. If you are mostly using it to
download archived files, you will get 9.6kb/s, as the data is already
compressed.

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (11/22/89)

In article <5295@internal.Apple.COM> desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers)
writes:
> The HST uses a 9600bps modulation scheme [...]

My information is out of date. The HST+ uses a 14.4kb/s modulation scheme.

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469