[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What speed RAM for what speed motherboard?

pa1568@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (Dennis Lou) (10/11/89)

I've got 2 megs worth of 100ns 256kx1 dynamic ram chips.  What speed
386 motherboard will they work with?  What speed 286 mother board
will they work with?  Interleaved?  Cached?  1 wait state?  0 wait
state?

--
<Dennis Lou>                     |"But Yossarian, what if everyone
pa1568@sdcc13.ucsd.edu           |                 thought that way?"

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/20/89)

>I've got 2 megs worth of 100ns 256kx1 dynamic ram chips.  What speed
>386 motherboard will they work with?  What speed 286 mother board
>will they work with?  Interleaved?  Cached?  1 wait state?  0 wait

They will run in a 20 mhz interleaved motherboard - and might even
run in a 25 mhz interleaved motherboard with 1 wait state (I have
used 100ns RAM at 25/1 without problems).

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (10/29/89)

$>I've got 2 megs worth of 100ns 256kx1 dynamic ram chips.  What speed
$>386 motherboard will they work with?  What speed 286 mother board
$>will they work with?  Interleaved?  Cached?  1 wait state?  0 wait

   100ns RAM will work on an 8 MHz AT at 0 wait states, on a 12 MHz AT
at 1 wait state, and perhaps on a 10 MHz AT at 0 wait states (but 10 MHz
ATs are pretty uncommon)

--
Stephen M. Dunn                             cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
         <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

henke@mercury.cis.ohio-state.edu (robert d henke) (10/31/89)

In article 34685, Stephen M. Dunn writes:
>   100ns RAM will work on an 8 MHz AT at 0 wait states, on a 12 Mhz AT
>at 1 wait state...(rest is deleted)

100ns RAM is working just fine at 12 MHz, 0 wait states in my AT clone.  As
a matter of fact my clone vendor (Zeos) recommended 100ns RAM.

For what it's worth,
Dru

'I hate stupid signature files.`

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (11/14/89)

100 ns are fine in At's 12 Mc. with 0 wait. If you go any faster,
you should use 80's.

ngeow@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Yee Ngeow) (11/22/89)

In article <11250106@hpldola.HP.COM> ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) writes:
>100 ns are fine in At's 12 Mc. with 0 wait. If you go any faster,
>you should use 80's.

Ahha! Depends on what machine you use. Some AT's allow 120 ns memory to be
used at 12MHz, 0 wait. The logic on your motherboard has some say in what
RAM speed to use.

Also, on XT boards, you can pretty safely use slower RAMS. I have a 15 (Yes,
ONE FIVE) MHz V20 board happily running using 100ns chips, zero wait, of course.

Kwong