[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Summary of replies for C Code Profiler

sed@sppy00.UUCP (Steve Driscoll) (11/21/89)

Special thanks to everyone who responded to my request for a execution
profiler for C language routines.  Here's a summary of what I found:

o Fred Smith posted a public domain profiler to several news groups and it
  it available from the C User's Group, volume #259.

o Paul Chisolm listed several profilers including the following software:
  - The MKS Toolkit
  - MMC AD Systems (listed int eh C Programmer's Toolkit)
  - Code Sifter from David Smith Software
  - Stopwatch from Custom Real-Time Software
  - Profiler from DWB Associates
  - Insider from Paradigm
  - Pfinish from Polytron

While we didn't get the chance to check all these tools out, we did select
Pfinish from Polytron since it supports PLink overlays (overlays are a real
problem for many profilers).  Thanks again to everyone who responded!
--
*** ** * | |    OO     CC   L     CC     //
*** ** * | |   O  O   C     L    C      //

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (11/23/89)

I am posting this for Herman Ellingsen who can't post to notes.

From: Herman Ellingsen <hpsgpa!hpfcla!hermane@ifi.uio.no>
To: plim@hpsgwk (Peter Lim)
Subject: Re: Why does my computer squeak?

I'm sorry, but I can't find the first poster's address.

Lay your harddisk down flat.
It's a hardcard? remove it from the hardcard, lay it down flat somewhere
inside your computer.
Yes, I know it can be difficult. That's why they made the hard-card in the
first place.
'Woice-coil' harddisk (that's most harddisks) does squeak.

This information probably should be available on the net, anyway.
I'm not able to post. If you'd like to, feel free to do it.
Herman