[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC version of tar

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (11/20/89)

Does anyone know of a PD version of 'tar' for a PC?  I would like to
tar up directories on a UNIX machine, transfer the .tar files to a PC,
and then de-tar them on the PC.  The directories contain only ASCII
files and sub-directories, if that makes things any easier.

Binaries would be nice, since I don't have a C compiler (although I do
have Turbo Pascal 4.0).  I also don't have any of the PC tools like
ARC, Zoo, etc (just Kermit).  I do have the full range of UNIX tools
available (uudecode, etc.)

Please send EMAIL, since I don't usually read this group.  I will post
a summary if there is any interest.

Thanks for the help,
   Dan
J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr
                                       Usenet: uunet!frith!smithda

Great things can be reduced to small things, and small things can be
reduced to nothing.
              - Chinese Proverb

koya@math.titech.ac.jp (Koya Yoshihiro) (11/23/89)

	Hi,

In article <5445@cps3xx.UUCP> smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
(J. Daniel Smith) writes:

   >Does anyone know of a PD version of 'tar' for a PC?  I would like to
   >tar up directories on a UNIX machine, transfer the .tar files to a PC,
   >and then de-tar them on the PC.  The directories contain only ASCII
   >files and sub-directories, if that makes things any easier.

	There is GNU tar1.07 ( for example ).
	As is well-known, it's Free Softwear.
	But......

   >Binaries would be nice, since I don't have a C compiler (although I do

	GNU tar 1.07 is the raw C source code.

	Sorry, my "scratch" posting. :-)

--
Tokyo Institute of Technology