[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Core drive in Compaq

chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) (11/17/89)

I have what I believe to be a CORE HC310-5 hard disk.  The wonderful manual
says it is designed for PS/2s.  And in fact I have a MCA controller board
to go with it.

What I would actually like to do is mount it in a Compaq 386/20.  The
Compaq has an ESDI controller, and their standard 60 meg drive.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and could give me some hints?

Please send me mail, as I don't usually read this list.

  Gary Chapman, Academic Computing Facility, New York University
  chapman@nyu.edu

  Compuserve: 76424,2450

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (11/23/89)

In article <20004@acf4.NYU.EDU>, chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) writes:
> I have what I believe to be a CORE HC310-5 hard disk.  The wonderful manual
> says it is designed for PS/2s.  And in fact I have a MCA controller board
> to go with it.
>
> What I would actually like to do is mount it in a Compaq 386/20.  The
> Compaq has an ESDI controller, and their standard 60 meg drive.
> Please send me mail, as I don't usually read this list.

I expected lots of people to post the answer to this.  (Maybe they all
sent e-mail to Mr. Chapman, and the answer disappeared down his
mailbox.)  Anyway, Compaq distributes the electronics between their
controller boards and their hard disks in ways that aren't industry
standard.  Your Core drive should work with a non-Compaq EDSI
controller, but not with the Compaq controller.

Needless to say, the MCA controller is useless in an system with AT
compatible (or EISA) (or however that's spelled) expansion slots.

Bottom line:  ask the person who bought the drive.  Or try asking
Core's technical support folks.

>   Gary Chapman, chapman@nyu.edu, Compuserve: 76424,2450

(I also e-mailed this message to Mr. Chapman.)

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.