[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Accessing SIMTEL without ftp

djw@ssc-vax.UUCP (David J Warren) (11/17/89)

I've noticed SIMTEL referred to in this newsgroup a number of times.

After following this news group for awhile, I've found that a good
source of binaries is SIMTEL but have yet to hear how to access the
system. I've read the notes about how to get files across the
InterNET with ftp but this doesn't help me because we are connected
through uucp. Is there a way to get to SIMTEL through uucp?

The program I am looking for is a dvi to postscript translater
running under MS-DOS on a AT clone.

David J. Warren of Boeing Aerospace & Engineering in Seattle, WA

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (11/17/89)

In article <2988@ssc-vax.UUCP>,
djw@ssc-vax.UUCP (David J Warren) writes:

>I've noticed SIMTEL referred to in this newsgroup a number of times.
>
>After following this news group for awhile, I've found that a good
>source of binaries is SIMTEL but have yet to hear how to access the
>system. I've read the notes about how to get files across the
>InterNET with ftp but this doesn't help me because we are connected
>through uucp. Is there a way to get to SIMTEL through uucp?

From where I am, I can get files without using FTP by sending mail
to listserv@rpiecs.bitnet. This may be different for other people.
To get a directory, send the message

/pddir [Directory name] [Number]

The number gives the maximum age of the files you are interested in
(in days). The default, with no number, is either 10 or 30, I don't
remember which.

To get a file, send the message

/pdget [filename]

I may have the slashes the wrong way round, but this is the general
idea. You will (eventually) get what you want via e-mail, in
uuencoded form, which you will have to uudecode.

Richard Stanton

pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (11/20/89)

In article <2988@ssc-vax.UUCP> djw@ssc-vax.UUCP (David J Warren) writes:
>through uucp. Is there a way to get to SIMTEL through uucp?

Send me mail and I will send a collection of notes that I have formed
after having asked the same question some weeks ago.
     ...!uunet!ingr!b23b!dragon!keith  is where -kef
\ ...!UUNET!ingr!b23b!dragon!keith    _OR_   b23b!dragon!keith@INGR.COM /
 \ "Fer cryin' out loud, research physicists need porsches too!" -Opus /
  \_"...the Trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw." -Rush_/

onymouse@netcom.UUCP (John DeBert) (11/24/89)

Is it possible to dialup SIMTEL20?

Every single uuencoded file I get via LISTSERV is corrupt: the sums don't
match and/or ARC fails with "archive corrupt" errors.

jd
onymouse@netcom.UUCP