[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MFM, RLL, SCSI drives + Acer recall

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (11/25/89)

In article <3697@orion.cf.uci.edu>, mrichey@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Richey) writes:
> In article <286@marvin.moncam.co.uk> emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) writes:
> >
> >I tend to read this group rather than post to it, but I can't resist
> >this one, it tickles me pink..
> >
> >There's been a lot of slagging-off of RLL drives, and praising of SCSI
> >(and acceptance of MFM as cheap but reliable). I've just re-read the
> >much vaunted Quantum PRO80S's manual to confirm my suspicions, and it's
> >TRUE, section 2, page 1 of the Installation Manual for this Embedded
> >SCSI drive has an entry
>

> RLL 2,7 and 1,3   MFM are encoding methods. How magnetic flux is placed onto
> [more stuff omitted]

Just the point I was making! A lot of people are putting others off using
RLL drives on the grounds of unreliability, and yet one of the most highly
prized drives uses RLL methods. I'm simply trying to redress the balance
a bit by drawing attention to it. You are of course completely correct
to distinguish between interface and encoding, but most software hackers
don't realise that.

On an entirely different topic...
Having problems with an Acer? Check with your dealer, it seems that
at least one model is being recalled to the factory, something to do
with a defective batch of motherboards.
- no opinion should be inferred from this, it is for information only.

Dave E.