[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Micro-Emacs & PC Lan 1.30 Conflict?

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (11/17/89)

In article <1989Nov16.153204.10926@chinet.chi.il.us> megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:
>Help! I've been happily using pc micro emacs version 3.9 for years now
>on my IBM pc, but now we have installed IBM PC Lan V1.30 and everytime
>I run emacs I get a
>
>Net 803:  Network Path Not Found
>Abort, Retry, Fail?
>
>error.  This is weird! emacs.exe and emacs.rc are located in my c:\lcmds
>directory which is in my PATH statement.  To boot, there are no network
>directories in my PATH.

	At the time this occurs, MicroEMACS is probably searching all
the directories on the path looking for a startup file.  Try playing
with your path and see if you can isolate it to a particular device or
directory.  I suspect that it will have something to do with one of the
network drives.

>Now, this only happens when I run PC LAN 1.3 Extended Services.  When I'm
>running as a stand alone PC, micro-emacs works fine.  When I run under
>PC LAN base services, I can run micro-emacs fine, but when I run the
>extended services, I get the error message.
>
>Here is the kicker: Of course, I get my 'C;\' prompt back when I pick
>'Abort', I get the same message again when I 'Retry', but when I
>'Fail' emacs goes on and runs as if nothing had happened!!

	When you hit fail, DOS returns a failure on the open, emacs
assums it can't get a startup file there... and on it goes.

>Now, I guess I could just hit an 'f' everytime I run emacs and learn
>to live with it, but I can't help but feel something can and should
>be done about it.

	agreed, this sounds ugly.

>Does anyone have a fix for this or at least some ideas on why I might
>be getting this error? Any help would ne appreciated.

	Also some networks, NETWARE v2.0 and below, mis implimented the
DOS $4B EXEC call... it ended up trashing the STACK, thus emacs hung
whenever it went to execute things.  I fixed this in 3.10 with a special
define and some assembly code to save/restore the stack around the call.

>Mark E. Sunderlin: IRS Technocrat in Winchester, VA

	I am not sure exactly what this can be, but if you will assist
by answering the hords of questions I am likely to ask, I will try to
help you hunt it down.

			Daniel Lawrence  voice: (317) 742-5153
					  arpa:	dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu
				The Programmer's Room
				Fido: 1:201/10 - (317) 742-5533

cousens@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Cousens) (11/18/89)

In article <10405@j.cc.purdue.edu> nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:

> >on my IBM pc, but now we have installed IBM PC Lan V1.30 and everytime
> >I run emacs I get a
> >
> >Net 803:  Network Path Not Found
> >Abort, Retry, Fail?
> >
> >error.  This is weird! emacs.exe and emacs.rc are located in my c:\lcmds
> >directory which is in my PATH statement.  To boot, there are no network

We had this problem on our network.  It seems that the error occurs
only when 'C:\;' is somewhere in the path.  Take out the root from the
search path, and bingo, the error will not crop up.
Tnx
	Scott.

       The above is what we discovered here on our explicit network.
MicroEMACS 3.10 and PC-LAN 1.30
Scott Cousens      \     Internet: cousens@elbereth.rutgers.edu    /
BPO 20953            \     Bitnet: cousens@zodiac.bitnet         /
PO Box 1119            \                                       /
Piscataway NJ 08854      \           G'day   -Kuzz           /

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (11/18/89)

In article <10405@j.cc.purdue.edu>, nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) wrote:
 >        Also some networks, NETWARE v2.0 and below, mis implimented the
 >DOS $4B EXEC call... it ended up trashing the STACK, thus emacs hung
 >whenever it went to execute things.  I fixed this in 3.10 with a special
 >define and some assembly code to save/restore the stack around the call.

DOS 2.x *itself* mis-implemented the EXEC call, trashing the stack pointer
along with all the other registers except CS:IP.  This is documented.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

jrc@hpdml93.HP.COM (Jim Conrad) (11/25/89)

Emacs is passing a pathname of the form "\\etc" to DOS.  The redirector
interprets names like "\\server\resource" to be network names as part
of something called the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) which was not
well documented in DOS but appears all over the place in OS/2.

Jim Conrad
jrc@hpbsrl