[comp.sys.ibm.pc] hooking a TV to an ibm clone

Steve.Cromer@uscacm.UUCP (Steve Cromer) (11/11/89)

I'm trying to make a xt or at clone for someone that
only has 1/2 his sight.  I took my 14" CGA over to
see what this guy could see.  It looks like he needs
a 20 to 25" screen for the letters would be bi
enough.  is there a way I could hook the tv to the
clone.?????
thanks
steve cromer

Steve Cromer == ...!usceast!uscacm!Steve.Cromer

CUMMINGS@S55.Prime.COM (11/16/89)

My TV  is a 25" JVC monitor and has a 9-pin D-shell connector specifically
design to interface to a CGA/RGB signal.  (Sorry, no EGA of better B^().
They do exist, they are alsways called "monitor" TVs, and they are always
more expensive than "regular" NTSC only TVs.
Kevin J. Cummings                       Prime Computer Inc.
20 Briarwood Road                       500 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, Mass.                       Framingham, Mass.

InterNet:  CUMMINGS@S55.Prime.COM
CSNet:     CUMMINGS%S55.Prime.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
UUCP:      {uunet, csnet-relay}!S55.Prime.COM!CUMMINGS

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration, I've come
                  to the conclusion that your new defense system SUCKS..."

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (11/23/89)

Quoth Steve.Cromer@uscacm.UUCP (Steve Cromer) in <78.255BE06B@uscacm.UUCP>:
|I'm trying to make a xt or at clone for someone that
|only has 1/2 his sight.  I took my 14" CGA over to
|see what this guy could see.  It looks like he needs
|a 20 to 25" screen for the letters would be bi
|enough.  is there a way I could hook the tv to the
|clone.?????

Steve, this month's Personal Computing has an ad on page 215 for
a product called the Willow VGA-TV, which the ad shows with an
actual image on a Sony Trinitron.   Looks like just the ticket,
though it may be pricey at $700.

The number given is 800-444-1585, Ext. 70.

--
"I don't run - I tend to black my eyes." - D.Parton | hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz
----------------------------------------------------|    tbetz@dasys1.UUCP

drmmudie@rose.waterloo.edu (David R. Mudie) (11/24/89)

You have several possiblities that I can think of.  Most CGA cards also have
a composite output as well as a standard RGB output (the composite is
an RCA jack).  All that you have to do is either get a combination
monitor/tv which will accept this signal (many tv's can do this), or modulate
the signal so that a TV can use it.  You can either buy or make a modulator.
You also might be able to modify a modulator from on older computer such
as a vic-20.  If you want an even easier solution you can use a VCR as
a modulator.  All you do is plug the composite output of the CGA card
into the video input (not cable or antenna) on the VCR.  Then just hook
the VCR up to the TV normally and set it to receive its signal from the
video input.

Another possible solution is a large RGB monitor.  When I worked for IBM we
had a massive screen that we used to be able to read from 40 feet away.
(yes, I mounted tapes for IBM, exciting or what?)

Anyway, hope you work it out.
I believe that the screen was made by SONY. (But am not sure)

David

drmmudie@lotus.waterloo.edu (David R. Mudie) (11/27/89)

I received this repsonse to an article that I posted.  Since I do not
know the origianl posters address I am just posting it.

From @neat.cs.toronto.edu,@mnetor,@becker:mdfreed@contact  Sat Nov 25 07:34:31 1989

To: drmmudie@rose.waterloo.edu
Subject: Re: hooking a TV to an ibm clone
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

   Actually, the IBM CGA card has a berg connector for an RF Modulator. The SuperModII originally sold for an Apple fits right
on, and costs 1/2 what the SuperMod N (I forget) for the IBM PC does.
   I have a SuperMod II lying about .... the resolution was pretty awful on
a Sony 19" colour television .... adequate for judging colours, but too
hard to read in 80-column mode. Might do for 40-column mode, though.

   btw  I'm replying to you because I don't have posting privileges on Contact
and ZIEBMEF has been down for about a month.
   If you care to pass this on to the original poster .....