[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Bugs?/Interactions? with PC-Cache and TP5.5

bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) (11/25/89)

I had a fright today. Came out of Turbo Pascal 5.5 to find only 4 files
reported present on my hard-disk, and all directories vanished.

CHKDSK showed the disk label to be 'atatatatata'
  where 'a' stands for the character with value 084hex
  and   't' stands for the character with value 0CBhex.

An old copy of PCTOOLS 4.22 showed the entire first 512 bytes of FAT #1
to consist of the same two byte values.  I scanned upwards as far as
the root directory. All was correct.

Scanning down again the first sector of FAT#1 now took on its normal
appearance!! And on quitting PCTOOLS all was correct again.

Has anyone met anything similar? Or recognizes what was going on? The
things that seem relevant to me are:
  * I have Central Point's PC-Cache installed
  * and CED,
  * and I twice ran out of space during compilation with TP5.5.

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (11/28/89)

In article <350@orchid.warwick.ac.uk> bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) writes:
>I had a fright today. Came out of Turbo Pascal 5.5 to find only 4 files
>reported present on my hard-disk, and all directories vanished.
>
>CHKDSK showed the disk label to be 'atatatatata'
>  where 'a' stands for the character with value 084hex
>  and   't' stands for the character with value 0CBhex.
>
>An old copy of PCTOOLS 4.22 showed the entire first 512 bytes of FAT #1
>to consist of the same two byte values.  I scanned upwards as far as
>the root directory. All was correct.
>
>Scanning down again the first sector of FAT#1 now took on its normal
>appearance!! And on quitting PCTOOLS all was correct again.
>
>Has anyone met anything similar? Or recognizes what was going on? The
>things that seem relevant to me are:
>  * I have Central Point's PC-Cache installed
>  * and CED,
>  * and I twice ran out of space during compilation with TP5.5.

Sounds like your cache got confused.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254
In a dictatorship, people suffer without complaining.
In a democracy, people complain without suffering.