[comp.sys.ibm.pc] maxtor XT-1140 disk drives

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (11/28/89)

Does anybody out there know anything about the specs on the Maxtor XT-1140
harrd diskdrive?  I know it is good sized and relatively fast, but I don't
know if it is ST506 or SCSI or what, or how many surfaces/cylinders,
whether write precomp is needed, etc.

If anybody has this information would you please post or mailto me??

Thanks!

Fred Smith
uunet!samsung!cg-atla!fredex

rogers@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (11/29/89)

In article <8091@cg-atla.UUCP> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:

>Does anybody out there know anything about the specs on the Maxtor XT-1140
>harrd diskdrive?  I know it is good sized and relatively fast, but I don't
>know if it is ST506 or SCSI or what, or how many surfaces/cylinders,
>whether write precomp is needed, etc.

>Fred Smith
>uunet!samsung!cg-atla!fredex

a Maxtor xt-1140 is ST506 compatible and it's specs are:

model    cylinders  heads  precomp  Lzone   formatted space
xt-1140    918       15    none     1023    120 Meg MFM, 180 Meg RLL
xt-1240   1024       15    none     1023    138 Meg MFM, 204 Meg RLL
xt-2190   1224       15    none     1223    160 Meg MFM, 240 Meg RLL

Often you can get a 1140 to format as a 1240 for a few extra megs.
I have never heard of a Maxtor that did not work RLL reliably.
My 1140 is formatted RLL as a 1240 giving me 204 Meg.

I have heard that you can get a 1140 to format as a 2190, but I tried
with mine and was unable to get it to work. If I really needed the
36 more megabytes, I may have tried harder.

Average access times are all about 26-28 ms, with the bigger drives being
a tad slower.

With a WD1006-VSR2 1:1 interleave RLL controller I get a 550 Kbytes/sec
transfer rate.  With the WD1003-MM? 2:1 MFM controller I had for a while
(And now I don't trust that board in a computer with an IO bus faster
 than 8 Mhz) I got 150 Kbytes/sec.

   I have never had a disk crash since changeing to RLL (3 months ago),
while I had them weekly with the MFM controller.  I now am pretty certain
that the WD1003 controller was the culprit, because when I took it out of
my 10 Mhz DTK AT clone (with a 10 Mhz IO bus) and put it into a clone that
has a 12 Mhz IO bus, the controller did not work at all. I suspect that the
WD1003 would work fine with the 8Mhz bus it was designed for.
Note that the WD1006 (MFM or RLL) series is rated to work on a 16Mhz IO bus,
and seems to take care of all bus speed problems associated with some clones.

Brynn

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
 home 612 874-7737