[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help with Quantumn Q520 Hard disk

ngeow@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Yee Ngeow) (11/27/89)

Hi!

  I recently obtained a Quantumn Hard disk, model 520. Can anyone who
know the drive parameters let me know what they are? Specifically I need
to know: (Just fill in the blanks)

Cylinders 	:
Heads		:
Format MFM/RLL	:
Reduce write cyl:
Write precomp	:
Error corr. bits:
Step rate	:

Please email if possible to ngeow@bu-cs.bu.edu (internet) or
engkdfc@buacca (bitnet)

Thank you very much in advance!

Yee Ngeow

liber@darth.PGH.PA.US (Eric Liber) (11/27/89)

In article <43367@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, ngeow@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Yee Ngeow) writes:
>   I recently obtained a Quantumn Hard disk, model 520. Can anyone who
> know the drive parameters let me know what they are? Specifically I need
> to know: (Just fill in the blanks)

 Cylinders       : 512
 Heads	         : 4
 Format MFM/RLL	 : MFM
 Reduce write cyl: 256
 Write precomp	 : 256
 Error corr. bits: 11  - This is usually dependant on the controller used
 Step rate	 : I am not sure what you want here - most (all?) modern
                   controllers will use buffered stepping so the actual rate
                   the drive works at is irrelavant.  However the drive is
                   specified as being:

                     Track to track : 10ms  (12ms max)
                     average        : 45ms  (49ms max)
                     Full Stroke    : 80ms  (90ms max)
                     average latency: 8.5ms

                     Transfer rate 5.00Mbits / sec

                     Capacity (unformated) 21.33MB

                     Interface: ST506/412

I have used the 40 meg version (Q540) and it is a fine (if a little slow)
drive.  DEC uses them as the RD52a.  One note of warning :  This drive uses
a tracking techinque known as embedded servo wedge.  As such it reserves a
small portion of the end of each track for a track positioning signal.
Therefore, the controller electronics must be smart enough to format the drive
in somewhat less than 360 degrees.  MOST modern controllers (last 4 years?)
can deal with this automatically.  I have run into some that either were not
capable of writing this way or required a specific bit to be set in a control
register that was not automatically done by the low level format process.  I
only pass this along as a warning since it caught me by the a**.  If you are
using a standard MFM ST506/412 controller of relatively recent manufacture
then you should have no problems.

Good Luck
Eric (the red baron) Liber

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (11/29/89)

In article <43367@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ngeow@cs.bu.edu (Yee Ngeow) writes:

>  I recently obtained a Quantumn Hard disk, model 520. Can anyone who
>know the drive parameters let me know what they are? Specifically I need
>to know: (Just fill in the blanks)
>
>Cylinders 	: ** 512
>Heads		: ** 4
>Format MFM/RLL	: ** ?
>Reduce write cyl: ** none
>Write precomp	: ** 256
>Error corr. bits: ** ?
>Step rate	: ** 7

According to the documentation that I have, this disk is ~ 20Mb.

----
Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!palomar!dougm>
"All of us is smarter than each of us!"