[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compaq disks are non-standard?

mario@r3.cs.man.ac.uk (11/17/89)

I have been ringing around the micro dealers looking for some
expansion disk for my Compaq 386/20e (currently has a 42Mb drive,
supplied with the system), and was horrified when two of the dealers
told me that the disk interface on Compaqs is non-standard, and that I
must buy Compaq's own drives.  These are *expensive* (over twice the
price per meg of most PC drives).

Is this common knowledge?  (if so, why wasn't I told :-).)

Is there any way out?

TIA for any advice,

Mario Wolczko
   ______      Dept. of Computer Science   Internet:      mario@cs.man.ac.uk
 /~      ~\    The University              USENET:    mcvax!ukc!man.cs!mario
(    __    )   Manchester M13 9PL          JANET:         mario@uk.ac.man.cs
 `-':  :`-'    U.K.                        Tel: +44-61-275 6146  (FAX: 6280)
____;  ;_____________the mushroom project___________________________________

norsk@sequent.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (11/23/89)

In article <362@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> mario@r3.cs.man.ac.uk writes:
>I have been ringing around the micro dealers looking for some
>expansion disk for my Compaq 386/20e (currently has a 42Mb drive,
>supplied with the system), and was horrified when two of the dealers
>told me that the disk interface on Compaqs is non-standard, and that I
>must buy Compaq's own drives.  These are *expensive* (over twice the
>price per meg of most PC drives).
>
>Is this common knowledge?  (if so, why wasn't I told :-).)

That's right, the interface between the disk controller and the hard disk
is Compaq's own. To add another disk requires a) buy the disk from Compaq
b) buy a new disk controller and two (2) new disks and throw/sell the
compaq controller/disk combo.

The interface between the CPU and the disk controller is the standard AT
WD1003 interface.

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogcvax,uunet}!sequent!norsk
Sequent Computer Systems	Phone: (503) 526-5727

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (11/23/89)

mario@r3.cs.man.ac.uk writes:

>... the [hard] disk interface on Compaqs is non-standard, and ... I
>must buy Compaq's own drives.  These are *expensive* (over twice the
>price per meg of most PC drives).

>Is this common knowledge?  (if so, why wasn't I told :-).)

Well, it is more like uncommon knowledge.  The kind that hurts. :-)

The way to tell if your controller is Compaq specific is to see if
it has only one cable going to it.  Some of the 286 models did have
standard ST506 type interfaces.  The only other sane upgrade option
is to get a new controller with your drive.  You will still come out
ahead as far as cost.  Since you have a 386 you might as well spring
for something *really* fast (which is going to entail a new board
anyway).

I guess this kind of situation sums up the difference between a
"compatible" and a "clone."

Good Luck!

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (11/25/89)

In article <362@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> mario@r3.cs.man.ac.uk writes:
<I have been ringing around the micro dealers looking for some
<expansion disk for my Compaq 386/20e (currently has a 42Mb drive,
<supplied with the system), and was horrified when two of the dealers
<told me that the disk interface on Compaqs is non-standard, and that I
<must buy Compaq's own drives.  These are *expensive* (over twice the
<price per meg of most PC drives).
<
<Is this common knowledge?  (if so, why wasn't I told :-).)

Yes, it is common knowledge by now that Compaq uses modified ST-506.

<Is there any way out?

Yes, but maybe not in the U.K.  Here in the states there are now third party
manufacturers of drives for the Compaq.  I have a 100 MB hard drive in there
and another one on order.  The kit is put together by CMS, a place that puts
together various third party vendor stuff into usable kits.  I have no idea
if they have an outlet in the U.K.
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (glen sunada f84) (11/29/89)

In article <362@m1.cs.man.ac.uk>, mario@r3.cs.man.ac.uk writes:
> I have been ringing around the micro dealers looking for some
> expansion disk for my Compaq 386/20e (currently has a 42Mb drive,
> supplied with the system), and was horrified when two of the dealers
> told me that the disk interface on Compaqs is non-standard, and that I
> must buy Compaq's own drives.  These are *expensive* (over twice the
> price per meg of most PC drives).
>
> Is this common knowledge?  (if so, why wasn't I told :-).)
>
> Is there any way out?
>
> TIA for any advice,

Is this common knowledge?  Of course not Compaq is out to get you.
                           (Not quite it showed up in BYTE and PC-WEEK once)

Is there any way out?      yes - trash your Compaq controller and drive and get
                           an aftermarket setup complete with controller.

TIA for any advice,        Your welcome

Glen U. Sunada
gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU   ARPA Internet (preferred)
...!ncar!boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU UUCP

We have only ignorence to fear