[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Syquest SQ555 queries

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (11/27/89)

It seems like over the weekend, Syquest is trying to conquer Singapore.
Suddenly, I found quite a few of the local computer stores are testing
the Syquest SQ555 (44 MB removable catridge wincehster disk drive) right
in their show rooms. So, far none of them are able to get them up and
working yet.

The price in Singapore seems to be around S$1600 for the drive, a
seagate cut-down SCSI controller and one 44MB catridge. And additional
catridge will sell for about S$205 a piece. US$1 about = S$1.96.
Although not very cheap, it is coming down to reasonable price range.

I browsed thru' the manual in one of the shops and found that so far
only driver for DOS exists (with UNIX & XENIX drivers on the way).
I am considering the possibility of owning one such beast. So, has
anyone use the SQ555 before ? and do the UNIX, XENIX or OS/2 drivers
exist now (the manual might be outdated) ? if so how good are they ?
and if not is there anyway to get hold of technical data so that I can
have a go at writing my own driver software when need arises ?

Thanks for any info.

Regards,
Peter Lim.
HP Singapore IC Design Center.

      E-mail address:              plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM
      Snail Mail address:          Peter Lim
                                   Hewlett Packard Singapore,
                                   (ICDS, ICS)
                                   1150, Depot Road,
                                   Singapore   0410.
      Telephone:                   (065)-279-2289

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (11/29/89)

In article <340031@hpsgpa.HP.COM>, plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
> It seems like over the weekend, Syquest is trying to conquer Singapore.
> Suddenly, I found quite a few of the local computer stores are testing
> the Syquest SQ555 (44 MB removable catridge wincehster disk drive) right
> in their show rooms. So, far none of them are able to get them up and
> working yet.

Some the worst nightmares of my life have to do with Syquest's
#!@!-ing removable winchester's.  They were such a pain that the
company I worked for refused to use them anymore in their machines.
They were replaced with 1/4" QIC tape devices.

Now maybe Syquest has improved their technology from when I worked
with them some 3 years ago.  Maybe the disks no longer have burnishing
problems, cost a fortune, and go south if you just breath on them.
But I'd have to have Syquest do some real convincing that they've
improved their act.

In the meantime, I would use their disks for one purpose only: targets
for rifle practice!  They were a great idea in theory, but not in
practice.  With luck, things have improved.
Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.