[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Kermit with FIXED FILE TYPE

JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) (11/21/89)

Andy,
        Perhaps someone has responded already to your problem with tranferring
VMS executables to MS-DOS machines and back to VMS, using Kermit. The intrinsic
problem is that VMS executables are not simple flat files, yet MS DOS supports
only a flat file system. Thus the gotcha will exist with any of the comms
programs. Solution: put the VMS executables in a DEC Saveset, on Kermit-32
(the VMS side) say SET FILE TYPE BINARY, get them to the PC with MS Kermit,
and later reverse this process, and finally use VMS BACKUP to unpack the
Saveset. Kermit-32 needs the SET FILE TYPE BINARY command whereas MS Kermit
does not (and does not even have it in all the current releases). As you
gather, Savesets are flat archive files and can hold just about anything
at all.
        Joe D.

dsmith@simpact.com (11/30/89)

In article <11748@cc.usu.edu>, JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) writes:
> Andy,
>         Perhaps someone has responded already to your problem with tranferring
> VMS executables to MS-DOS machines and back to VMS, using Kermit. The intrinsic
> problem is that VMS executables are not simple flat files, yet MS DOS supports
> only a flat file system. Thus the gotcha will exist with any of the comms
> programs. Solution: put the VMS executables in a DEC Saveset, on Kermit-32
> (the VMS side) say SET FILE TYPE BINARY, get them to the PC with MS Kermit,
> and later reverse this process, and finally use VMS BACKUP to unpack the
> Saveset. Kermit-32 needs the SET FILE TYPE BINARY command whereas MS Kermit
> does not (and does not even have it in all the current releases). As you
> gather, Savesets are flat archive files and can hold just about anything
> at all.
>         Joe D.

This is not totally true. I have been transfering VAX/VMS executables for
several years now using MS-DOS kermit.  The VAX/VMS system knows the format
for the executable when it was created, so that it can be directly down-
loaded to the PC with kermit.  The only tricky part is in creating the
proper file type on the target VAX/VMS system.  This is done using the
SET FILE TYPE FIXED on the kermit-32 system just before the file is
uploaded to the target VAX.

    Dave Smith