[comp.sys.ibm.pc] This bashing is getting old

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (12/01/89)

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> If you want problems with your hard disk not booting or even seeing the
> partition when the power goes out - then by all means install ISC.  If you
> want some of the worst support in the industry ... [and more flames]
[followed by glowing testimonial for SCO]

Mr. Snyder's postings have gotten out of hand.  Now, I *do* think it's
useful for people to post their experiences with various vendors, and in no
way do I want to discourage that.  (Consumers learn from it, but vendors do
too!)  However, there ought to be an attempt to provide a fair analysis
and some useful information about products.  Of late, Snyder's comments
about ISC have been no more than content-free bashing--unsubstantiated
and grossly unfair to the company, its products, and its people.

> I've been in both shoes and would suggest SCO to EVERYONE over ISC.
>
> And I'm not the only one who feels this way.

There are also many people who have the reverse reaction...have a look in
comp.unix.i386.  I'm not going to advertise for ISC or bash SCO--that's
not proper and its not the point.  It shouldn't be hard to figure out
where my allegiance lies anyway.  I'll just say that both companies have
relatively solid products, and both are working to improve.  If someone
tells you that either company wins hands-down in all categories over the
other, you're not getting a straight story; look elsewhere for advice.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Never offend with style when you can offend with substance.