[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help needed for MFM drive with RLL

mdonahue@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (12/01/89)

  I have heard some rumors that seagate has put hardware in some of its MFM
drives to prevent them from being formatted RLL (In this way you are forced to
purchase a "RLL" drive from seagate to use them RLL.  As I said this was rumored but it may be true and could be causing your problem.  This is what happens      one company gets control of 70 % of the market.    Mike

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (CHRISTER OLSSON) (12/01/89)

In article <7700091@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu>, mdonahue@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>   I have heard some rumors that seagate has put hardware in some of its MFM
> drives to prevent them from being formatted RLL (In this way you are forced to
> purchase a "RLL" drive from seagate to use them RLL.  As I said this was rumored but it may be true and could be causing your problem.  This is what happens      one company gets control of 70 % of the market.    Mike
Older seagates has so bad components in disk hardware. They can't be formatted
in RLL. It's not some type of RLL-protection.

(i.e older ST225 and ST238)