[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Loading Device Drivers at the DOS prompt

jal@ee.rochester.edu (John Lefor) (11/28/89)

I have to write a program which will load device drivers into DOS
from the DOS command prompt.  I have completed the part which
load character device drivers,  but I am completely lost when it
comes to installing block device drivers.  I am sure there are various
tables and control blocks which need to be updated when the block device
driver is loaded,  but I don't know which ones need what.

Does anyone know how to do this?  Can anyone suggest a reference
for learning what has to be done?

THanks for the help.

I program ... therefore I am.

John Lefor    	University of Rochester		Dept of E. Engineering
716-275-8265	jal@ee.rochester.edu		uunet!ur-valhalla!jal

tcm@srhqla.SR.COM (Tim Meighan) (11/28/89)

In article <1989Nov27.183203.17347@ee.rochester.edu> jal@ee.rochester.edu
writes:

>I have to write a program which will load device drivers into DOS
>from the DOS command prompt.
[stuff deleted]
>Can anyone suggest a reference for learning what has to be done?

The DOS PROGRAMMER'S REFERENCE (I have the 2nd edition), written by Terry
Dettmann (revised by Jim Kyle), and published by Que Corp, contains extensive
info on installable device drivers.

Tim Meighan
Silent Radio

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (11/29/89)

This is posted by mistake, I pressed W when I intended to press S
and my notes program refuse to abort posting.

frank@hpuamsa.UUCP (Frank Slootweg CRC) (11/29/89)

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>This is posted by mistake, I pressed W when I intended to press S
>and my notes program refuse to abort posting.

  Peter (and others :-)) in future (while in "vi" after accidently
pressing "w" (or similar)) do:

:shell		(or similar. Gives you a shell)
$ kill <pid_of_"vi">
$ exit		(You drop back were you were before you pressed "w")
No harm done.

Frank "Been there" Slootweg, Hewlett-Packard, Dutch Customer Response Center.

mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (12/02/89)

/* acf5:comp.sys.ibm.pc / frank@hpuamsa.UUCP (Frank Slootweg CRC) / 10:59 am  Nov 29, 1989 */
>  Peter (and others :-)) in future (while in "vi" after accidently
>pressing "w" (or similar)) do:
>
>:shell		(or similar. Gives you a shell)
>$ kill <pid_of_"vi">
>$ exit		(You drop back were you were before you pressed "w")
>No harm done.

Or maybe just press ^\ in my system this kills just about everything
(more powerfull that ^C)

Thanasis