[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Track-ball Keyboards

joynson@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (David Joynson- RCA) (12/01/89)

Question: Does anybody out there still make a keyboard with a trackball
built-in for the PC? Does anybody know of a manufacturer|distributer|retailer
of such a beastie? I remember playing with one about three years ago and
thought it was a great idea (at the time).

This question asked was mostly out of curiosity, but if anyone has an
answer, I could summerize.

Oh, and if anyone still makes them, what are the specs? MS-Mouse
compatible, extended keyboard, etc.
David Joynson                |"Beware the Jabberwock my son! The jaws that bite,
joynson@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov | the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird,
                             | and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!"
                             |   -- Lewis Carroll
 ** Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are all mine and no one elses! **

harper@rigel.uucp (David Harper) (12/01/89)

In article <37040@ames.arc.nasa.gov> joynson@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (David Joynson- RCA) writes:
>Question: Does anybody out there still make a keyboard with a trackball
>built-in for the PC? Does anybody know of a manufacturer|distributer|retailer
>of such a beastie? I remember playing with one about three years ago and
>thought it was a great idea (at the time).

I have seen one advertised recently.  Unfortunately I am at work right now and
the ad is at home so I'm not exactly sure where I saw it.  I THINK it was an
ad for Jameco Electronics.  If that's true, then it was probably in a recent
issue of either PC Magazine or Computer Shopper.  If you need more help send
me some mail and I'll dig deeper.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (12/02/89)

In article <37040@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, joynson@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (David Joynson- RCA) writes:

> Question:  Does anybody out there still make a keyboard with a trackball
> built-in for the PC?

 Jameco sells one. It is the JE2017 selling for $99.95. PC Magazine discusses
 it in their current issue in an article on keyboards. From my point of
 view the biggest drawback to built-in trackballs, is that except for the
 Mac portable they are all set up for right-handed people. The Logitech
 Track-man has the same problem.
--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (12/02/89)

In article <4038@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) writes:

> From my point of
> view the biggest drawback to built-in trackballs, is that except for the
> Mac portable they are all set up for right-handed people. The Logitech
> Track-man has the same problem.

I found it really surprising that the recent Byte review of the Logitech ball
didn't even mention this fact.  I guess Logitech considers lefties sort
of like green-fingered aliens.

Duncan Murdoch

mjw06513@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mary J Winters) (12/02/89)

I admit to some temptation regarding the new trackball keyboards. I'm one
of those people who NEVER has enough space on their desk for their mouse.
Has anyone tried one of the keyboards with built-in trackball, and if so
would you mind posting/emailing a brief review? I'd be especially interested
in the layout and feel of the keyboard portion (assuming the trackball part
is compatible with the Microsoft Mouse).

Thanks for your help.

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (12/03/89)

In article <1989Dec2.033745.11699@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mjw06513@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mary J Winters) writes:
> I admit to some temptation regarding the new trackball keyboards. I'm one
> of those people who NEVER has enough space on their desk for their mouse.
> Has anyone tried one of the keyboards with built-in trackball, and if so
> would you mind posting/emailing a brief review? I'd be especially interested
> in the layout and feel of the keyboard portion (assuming the trackball part
> is compatible with the Microsoft Mouse).

The only keyboard I've tried with a trackball was the Keycat - I haven't
tried the Logitech.

The trackball is pretty nice, easy to use and so forth, but they stuck some
of the function keys (I can't remember which ones now, I think the arrow
keys) ABOVE the trackball!!  The trackball is so large (about the size of
a pool cue ball) that you have to reach OVER the trackball to get to the
arrow keys.  I found this extremely distracting, though it may have been
made worse because I am a touch typist.  It seemed to me that with such a
large trackball you should put the arrow keys BELOW the trackball (towards
the edge of the table) since you're not going to have any trouble reaching
such a large trackball anyway.

All the other trackballs I've seen are on separate boxes.  It seems like
this ought to be a good idea but I've never seen it brought off in what I
thought was a completely successful implementation.

						Bruce C. Wright

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) (12/03/89)

When evaluating a trackball or trackball equipped keyboard,
make certain you can do things such as Alt-Shift-Button-3-drag
(a favorite for my window manager setup) smoothly.

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (12/04/89)

In article <4038@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) writes:

> From my point of
> view the biggest drawback to built-in trackballs, is that except for the
> Mac portable they are all set up for right-handed people. The Logitech
> Track-man has the same problem.

An oddball keyboard from Amtac has the trackball itself on the right but
puts the three "mouse" buttons on the left side.  See PC MAG 12/12/89
page 270.  Anyone tried this arrangement?
WALT

--
CSNet    maner@andy.bgsu.edu           | 419/372-8719
InterNet maner@andy.bgsu.edu 129.1.1.2 | BGSU Comp Sci Dept