[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Low-level hard disk format - Here's How

santol@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (shawn.r.antol) (11/27/89)

In article <29202@genrad.UUCP>, rob@genrad.UUCP (Rob Wood) writes:

> A hard drive had two partitions, one DOS, one non-DOS.  This is reported
> by FDISK.  I want to delete the non-DOS partition and make just one DOS
> partition on this 30 MB drive.  FDISK won't let me.  An IBM dealer said
> that I should run the low-level disk formatter.  I did the following:
> DEBUG .....       <Stuff deleted>

  Here is the scoop... (from the beginning for the beginners...)

  Hard disks are generic... That is, with the appropriate controller
card, the actual disk can be used in ANY machine (that supports a
hard disk).  When you purchase the disk, the first step is to "low-level"
format it. This puts things like the timing information, sector address
information, partition table, etc on the virgin disk (some factories do
this for you, some don't)

  After the low-level format, the hard disk still has no idea what
type of machine it is going into (The high level format does this).

  To perform a low level format, one must invoke the program to actually
perform the operation.  The method of invokation is DETERMINED by the
disk drive controller card.  On the disk drive controller card, there
is a Programmable Read Only Memory (PROM). This ROM "usually" contains
the necessary software to perform the low-level format for that
particular disk controller/drive.
  Here are the most common addresses to jump to from within "debug"
    g=c800:3    or   g=c800:5   or   g=c800:ccc
  If neither of these three work (you'll know cause the machine locks
up or spits garbage onto the screen), then you have a controller card
with no low-level formatting code on it.  In this case, you need a
program such as "The Disk Manager". The Disk Manager is made by Seagate
( I Think! ), and there is a different disk used for the various types
of hard disks.  Make sure you use the right one.....

  After the low level format is complete, you will need to use "FDISK"
to tell the machine what operating system(s) you intend to install on the
hard disk, ie. DOS, UNIX, ZENIX, etc.  Running "FDISK" after the low
level format will give a message like "No Partition Information Found".
This is okay.  Tell "FDISK" you want to create a DOS partition and it
will ask "Do you want to use the entire hard disk for DOS (Y/N)".   Since
you only have a 30Meg drive (and I assume you only want DOS on it), press
"Y".   At this point, "FDISK" will update your partition table.

  Now you need to High-Level format the disk.  This means that you are
going to take the once generic hard disk, and use it for a particular
operating system (DOS).  Do this by exiting "FDISK" and using your
favorit DOS verson, enter "format c:/s".    When "format" is complete
DOS will be on your hard disk and you can now boot from it....

  If you have any problems call/email me:
	Shawn R. Antol
	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville IL, USA
	708-979-5622   (9-5 CST)
	Send email to:   att!ihlpb!santol

#include <std.disclaimers>
#include <cutsy.quote>

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (11/29/89)

Hard disc controllers do not always have ROM programs at c800:5
to format discs.  Some manufacturers rely on programs shipped
with their disc drives.  If so, then jumping here just forces the
processor to go off into never-never land.  You can check for
this by UNASSEMBLING at this address and see if there is any real
code there.

I have heard that Disk Manager by Ontrack will low-level format
most all disks.  Did you try the Spinrite re-format?

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (12/04/89)

  There is a BIOS call "format track" which can be used to portably
format a disk. I don't remember the details now, but you may find a copy
of a program I wrote in 84 to do this. It was called hdformat and was
posted on a bunch of BBS systems. I'm not sure I have a copy any more,
and I'm sure I don't have one online, since the only DOS I run these
days is under UNIX.

  You might be able to find a copy around somewhere. This asks for
format and stuff. Any proper BIOS ROM should handle it.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen