[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 and 8514

chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) (11/28/89)

We have OS2 1.1 running on an IBM Model 60 with and 8514 video adapter
board.  The monitor is the large-screen 8507.  Everything is working
fine, but at VGA resolution.  Does anyone how to run Presentation Manager
in higher resolution with this board?

  - Gary Chapman, Academic Computing Facility, New York University
    chapman@nyu.edu

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (11/28/89)

In article <20007@acf4.NYU.EDU> chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) writes:
>We have OS2 1.1 running on an IBM Model 60 with and 8514 video adapter
>board.  The monitor is the large-screen 8507.  Everything is working
>fine, but at VGA resolution.  Does anyone how to run Presentation Manager
>in higher resolution with this board?
>
>  - Gary Chapman, Academic Computing Facility, New York University
>    chapman@nyu.edu

It is necessary to change a few things, if I remember correctly.
1) Do you have the memory expansion kit for the 8514/A adapter? If the
   board isn't fully populated you can't use the higher resolution mode in
   OS/2.  If so, I assume the jumper is already set correctly.
2) In your CONFIG.SYS, change the line which reads DEVINFO=SCR,VGA to read
   DEVINFO=SCR,BGA.
3) (Here's the tricky part!) You must boot under DOS, or lacking that, boot
   the original OS/2 installation diskette, and hit Esc to get out of the
   program to a OS/2 prompt.  Change the directory to OS2\SYSTEM.  I think
   that's the right one.  Anyway, if not this one then find the OS2\xxx
   directory that has DISPLAY.DLL in it.  There should also be in the same
   directory a file called IBMBGA.DLL.  Do this:
   COPY IBMBGA.DLL DISPLAY.DLL
   DISPLAY.DLL has all the OS/2 video routines in it, and the installation
   program automatically figures out which one to use.  Of course, if you then
   change things you have to fix this DLL manually as above.  The reason you
   can't boot under OS/2 as normal to do this is because once it boots then
   DISPLAY.DLL will be open and the system won't allow you to overwrite it.
   Hence this roundabout procedure.  This is the way IBM actually recommends
   you do it, the information is buried deep somewhere in one of those
   manuals that comes with OS/2.  Not being able to overwrite DLL's, while
   necessary, is probably my biggest single gripe about OS/2.

   Hope this helps.

   Andy
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Andy Silverman        | Internet:   silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |
| "All stressed out and | Compu$erve: 72261,531                   |
|  nobody to choke."    |                                         |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+

chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) (11/29/89)

Thanks for the response.  However, when we do this, the machine will
hang upon doing various normal things, e.g. try to bring up the control
panel, or go the the file system and try to pull down a menu.  We are
missing something here, I think.  Here is a copy of our config.sys file.
Any thoughts?

PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE C:\OS2\OS2.INI C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
SET PATH=C:\SQLLIB;C:\CMLIB;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\DLL
SET DPATH=C:\SQLLIB;C:\CMLIB;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\DLL
LIBPATH=C:\SQLLIB;C:\CMLIB;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\OS2\DLL;C:\
SET COMSPEC=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
SET PROMPT=$i[$p]
BUFFERS=60
DISKCACHE=64
MAXWAIT=3
MEMMAN=SWAP,MOVE
PROTECTONLY=NO
SWAPPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM 512
THREADS=255
TRACE=OFF
SHELL=C:\OS2\COMMAND.COM /P
BREAK=OFF
FCBS=16,8
RMSIZE=640
COUNTRY=001,C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVINFO=KBD,US,C:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP
CODEPAGE=437,850
DEVICE=C:\OS2\POINTDD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MOUSEB05.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\PMDD.SYS
IOPL=YES
DEVINFO=SCR,BGA,C:\OS2\VIOTBL.DCP
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\EGA.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\COM02.SYS
SET SQLUSER=TESTSTTN

gerten@uklirb.UUCP (Rainer Gerten) (11/29/89)

In article <20007@acf4.NYU.EDU> chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) writes:
>We have OS2 1.1 running on an IBM Model 60 with and 8514 video adapter
>board.  The monitor is the large-screen 8507.  Everything is working
>fine, but at VGA resolution.  Does anyone how to run Presentation Manager
>in higher resolution with this board?

If you try MS-OS/2, SDK 1.06 or IBM OS/2, 1.1, the installation
program automatically recognizes the 8514A-adapter and switches
to the high resolution (1024 x 768), if the attached monitor allows
it. With the 12 and 14 inch monitors they stay at the low resolution,
but with the 8514-monitor it works. I don't have any experience with
the 8507-monitor.
Check out following points:
- Cable and connector (the ability for the high resolution is
  coded in the connector)
- Has your 8514-adapter enough memory?

Perhaps this helps.

| Rainer Gerten                                  |
| University of Kaiserslautern                   |
| West-Germany                                   |
| Mail: gerten@informatik.uni-kl.de              |
| Phone: 49(631)205-2510                         |

kluge@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Oliver Kluge) (12/06/89)

In article <20007@acf4.NYU.EDU> chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) writes:
>We have OS2 1.1 running on an IBM Model 60 with and 8514 video adapter
>board.  The monitor is the large-screen 8507.  Everything is working
>fine, but at VGA resolution.  Does anyone how to run Presentation Manager
>in higher resolution with this board?
>
>  - Gary Chapman, Academic Computing Facility, New York University
>    chapman@nyu.edu

Hello !

I have an IBM 8514 on IBM's Model 80 up and running. When you only
get VGA resolution with PM, then you don't have a 8514-monitor
connected to your 8514!

The culprit is the connector of the monitor! IBM has used coding
which enables the 8514 to check what kind of monitor is connected -
and there are three different monitors it will recognize:
VGA monochrome
VGA color
8514 HIRES.
The default is VGA color. So if your monitor is capable of
displaying 8514's high resolution of 1024 x 768, you
have to configure your connector to 8514 standard.
This is the same connector ( submicro 15 pin ), but different
pins are connected. Best you buy a preconfigured cable.
(The coding is acutally done within the connector and *not*
by the monitor!).

So long ... Oliver Kluge

--
                                         / relay.cs.net (CS-NET, ARPA)