[comp.sys.ibm.pc] printers

torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) (11/21/89)

I am considering either an Epson LQ2550 color or a Star XB2415 color.
The specs are comparable: 24 pin dot matrix, wide carriage.  The main
difference seems to be that the Epson is a big 44 pound beast, while the
Star is shallower at 23 pounds.  The lowest advertised prices are about
$900 for Epson and $550 for Star.

Does anybody have some experience with them?  What I am looking for is
how handy/bitchy they are to use, how durable and how fast the fastest
draft mode for assembler listings and such is, and what practical
difference it makes that one is 23 inch deep and the other 13?
I will also be doing some Danish and Swedish (different alphabets),
are they supported?

I read and respond to this newsgroup, now it is your turn.

Torkil Hammer

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (11/28/89)

In article <2941@psivax.UUCP> torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) writes:
>I am considering either an Epson LQ2550 color or a Star XB2415 color.
>The specs are comparable: 24 pin dot matrix, wide carriage.  The main
>difference seems to be that the Epson is a big 44 pound beast, while the
>Star is shallower at 23 pounds.  The lowest advertised prices are about
>$900 for Epson and $550 for Star.
>
>Does anybody have some experience with them?  What I am looking for is
>how handy/bitchy they are to use, how durable and how fast the fastest
>draft mode for assembler listings and such is, and what practical
>difference it makes that one is 23 inch deep and the other 13?
>I will also be doing some Danish and Swedish (different alphabets),
>are they supported?

I don't know about those two, but I can tell you that the NEC PinWriter 5300
is an excellent printer. It is 24 pin, wide carriage, has all the document
handling features most people need, and can be purchased in color or upgraded
later (for about $60). It can be found for around $700.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254
-------------------------
In a dictatorship, people suffer without complaining.
In a democracy, people complain without suffering.

freeptos@mips.COM (Dan Freitas) (12/06/89)

I'm about to buy a printer.  The main criteria is that it be fast in draft
mode.  Near-letter-quality is probably OK, but if there are fast, reasonably
priced (<$400) 24-pin printers, that would be better.  I don't care if it is
dog slow in letter quality mode.

Any suggestions/recommendations for brand/model?

							Thanks,
							Dan Freitas
--

UUCP : {decvax,ucbvax,hplabs}!decwrl!mips!freeptos
USPS : Mips Computer Systems; 930 Arques Ave; Sunnyvale, Ca  94086