[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 4DOS aliases

mckeonj@ul.ie (JOHN MCKEON: STYX RBBS-PC LIMERICK) (11/23/89)

How about posting your favourite 4DOS aliases? Might get a few
out there interested in this *great* neenvironment.
My favourite is dnd, which boots up LARN with options set.

peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (J. Christian A. Peper) (12/04/89)

How do I get 4DOS to read my aliases from a file?
alias /r c:\aliases.bat doesn't work.
It doesn't like this one, in particular:
	alias fb `format g`

	Any idea?

	Chris.
--
* PEPER1@PITTVMS.BITNET		peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu      	    *
* Claimer: If it ain't DUTCH, it ain't much!!!!!!		    *

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (12/04/89)

In article <20998@unix.cis.pitt.edu> peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu
(J. Christian A. Peper) writes:

>How do I get 4DOS to read my aliases from a file?
>alias /r c:\aliases.bat doesn't work.
>It doesn't like this one, in particular:
>	alias fb `format g`

The notes to 4dos version 2.2. (7/18/89) clarify this point;
it is not described completely in earlier documentation:
The file used for ALIAS /R can be created from a .BAT file used
under a previous version of 4DOS.  In order to do so, the following
three changes must be made:

  - The word "alias" must be removed from the beginning of each line.
  - Back quotes (``) must be removed from all lines.
  - Double percent signs (%%) used to specify alias arguments when
    back quotes are NOT used must be changed to single percent signs

The README file describes this process, but mentions only the first
item above and incorrectly implies that the back-quotes and double
percent signs need not be modified.
These modifications work fine for me.

By the way, although J.P. Software, the authors of 4dos, are not
on the net, you can reach them by email at:

  CompuServe 73577,243
  BIX "trawson"

The authors, Rex. C. Conn and Tom Rawson, provide excellent support.
You can reach CompuServe from the Internet as follows:

  73577,243@compuserve.com

If your mailer doesn't recognize compuserve.com, try:

  73577,243%compuserve.com@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu

Usual disclaimers: I have no connection with J. P. Software except as
an extremely satisfied customer.

--David

David J. Birnbaum         djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
                          djb@harvunxw.bitnet   [Bitnet]

hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (12/05/89)

From article <20998@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, by peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (J. Christian A. Peper):

> How do I get 4DOS to read my aliases from a file?
> alias /r c:\aliases.bat doesn't work.
> It doesn't like this one, in particular:
> 	alias fb `format g`
>
> 	Any idea?

I've written my aliases to a batch file DOALIAS.BAT.  From my
AUTOEXEC.BAT, I CALL doalias.  This works fine for me.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

        uunet!megatek!hollen       or  hollen@megatek.uucp

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (12/05/89)

>  Resp: 1 of 1 by peper1 at unix.cis.pitt.edu
>  Date: Mon Dec 04 1989 17:03 CST
>How do I get 4DOS to read my aliases from a file?
>alias /r c:\aliases.bat doesn't work.
>It doesn't like this one, in particular:
>	alias fb `format g`
>
>	Any idea?
>	Chris.
>* PEPER1@PITTVMS.BITNET		peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu      	    *

  The format for using an alias file in 4DOS is to have it in this format:
new_cmd=old_cmds

  For example:
DIR=*DIR /OUJ
PROCOMM=CDD C:\PROCOMM^PROCOMM

  You should not have an 'readable' alias file like a batch file. Just
enter each line like above.

  Andrew Rosssmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) (12/05/89)

In article <20998@unix.cis.pitt.edu> peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (J. Christian A. Peper) writes:

>How do I get 4DOS to read my aliases from a file?
>It doesn't like this one, in particular:
>	alias fb `format g`
                ^

Put an "=" sign here, i.e.,

	alias fb=`format g`

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (12/07/89)

In article <[257b1a89:7036.2]comp.ibmpc;1@ddsw1.MCS.COM>,
andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) writes...

}
}>  Resp: 1 of 1 by peper1 at unix.cis.pitt.edu
}>  Date: Mon Dec 04 1989 17:03 CST
}>How do I get 4DOS to read my aliases from a file?
}>alias /r c:\aliases.bat doesn't work.
}>It doesn't like this one, in particular:
}>	alias fb `format g`

}
}  The format for using an alias file in 4DOS is to have it in this format:
}new_cmd=old_cmds
}
}  For example:
}DIR=*DIR /OUJ
}PROCOMM=CDD C:\PROCOMM^PROCOMM
}
}  You should not have an 'readable' alias file like a batch file. Just
}enter each line like above.
}
}  Andrew Rosssmann

I user alias/r filename to load my aliases all the time.  It does work at least
in my version which is 2.21.  You do not have to use the = sign when setting
aliases.  This is how they are displayed when you issue an alias command
without any argument but something like alias dir dir/w will work fine.

The easiest way to set your aliases is to set an alias for alias itself which
sets what you want to and then writes it out to a file that you can use /r on
when you boot your system.  I use the following:-

alias *alias `*alias %1 %2^*alias>c:\alias.lst`

Then in autoexec.bat just put alias/r c:\alias.lst

Hope this helps,

David.

|                                       | Internet: wales@gidday.enet.dec.com |
|  David Wales - Sydney Australia       | DEC Easynet: gidday::wales          |
|                                       | FIDOnet:  3:712/502   (Paragon BBS) |
|  "Only 38 years 'till retirement!"    | UUCP:   decwrl!gidday.enet!wales    |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and      | Voice:  (61) 2 868-3937 (H)         |
|  mine only!                           |         (61) 2 412-7334 (W)         |