[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need help installing 3.5 inch floppy drive

stv@qvax2.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (11/30/89)

I have a Toshiba 3.5 inch floppy drive, left over from an upgrade in a
PS/2 from 720k to 1.44M.  I'd like to install it in an XT that I have
sitting around, but the plugs are wrong.

What I need for the XT is a 34-pin edge connector to go to the floppy
controller card, and a 4-pin power socket for the power supply cable.
The drive has no power supply connection, only a 40-pin edge
connector.  I assume that some of the extra six pins are for power.

Does someone know the pinouts of the drive, and what kind of adaptor
I'll have to solder up to make it work?  I called Toshiba, and they
couldn't tell me.

--
Steve Vance
{hplabs,lll-winken,pacbell}!qantel!stv

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (12/07/89)

In article <628@qvax2.UUCP>, stv@qvax2.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) writes:
> I have a Toshiba 3.5 inch floppy drive, left over from an upgrade in a
> PS/2 from 720k to 1.44M.  I'd like to install it in an XT that I have
> sitting around, but the plugs are wrong.

[more stuff deleted]

This sort of request is common enough to warrant a general posting.

If you have doubts about doing this kind of installation yourself, try
looking at the 5,1/4 to 3.5 inch adaptor kits advertised in most PC mags.
The majority of them come complete with the necessary adaptors for both
the signal and power cables, as well as the metalwork and front panel
adaptors. At around 20 USD, they're good value for money and will suit
all but the wierdest drives. (Never saw one with a 40 pin connector)
Do make sure you fit the 34 way connector the right way round and not
off-centre, it's easy to get it wrong if you're not careful. If you
DO get it wrong, the drive select light will usually be permanently on,
but it's not al;ways fatal. The power connector CAN be forced on the
wrong way up, and that often is fatal if the 12v cable is connected
through. (some new drives only use 0v and +5v).
All you usually need is 10 minutes and a screwdriver.
Note though, that unless your controller can recognise the new drive,
you may only be able to use half its real capacity.

Dave E.

Dave E.

Dave E.