[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for floating point processor emulation software

ksb@asyst.UUCP (K. S. Bhaskar) (12/02/89)

I have a package that assumes that an Intel floating point co-processor (FPP)
is plugged into the appropriate socket on a PC, and I want to run it on a PC
without such a beast.  Does anyone know of an emulation package that traps the
error that (presumably) occurs when an FPP opcode is generated and then
emulates the instruction and places the results in the correct place?  In
other words, the package needn't be modified, and wouldn't even know that no
FPP existed (other than perhaps re-linking, although something that operates
as a TSR would be even better).  Any other advice would be welcome too.

Also, does anyone know whether DOS device drivers (e.g. for an A/D board
plugged into the bus) will work under VP/ix and/or Merge/386?

Thanx muchly, in advance, for any help.

ksb@asyst.uucp
    (or asyst!ksb@valhalla.rochester.edu or ...!rochester!valhalla!asyst!ksb)

K.S. Bhaskar
Asyst Software Technologies, Inc.
100 Corporate Woods
Rochester, NY 14623
(716)272-0070
(716)272-0073 (fax)

u-dmfloy%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Daniel M Floyd) (12/03/89)

In article <5.UUL1.3#5248@asyst.UUCP> ksb@asyst.UUCP (K. S. Bhaskar) writes:
>I have a package that assumes that an Intel floating point co-processor (FPP)
>is plugged into the appropriate socket on a PC, and I want to run it on a PC
>without such a beast.  Does anyone know of an emulation package that traps the
>error that (presumably) occurs when an FPP opcode is generated and then
>emulates the instruction and places the results in the correct place?  In
>other words, the package needn't be modified, and wouldn't even know that no
>FPP existed (other than perhaps re-linking, although something that operates
>as a TSR would be even better).  Any other advice would be welcome too.

Yes and no. I've heard that such software exists, but I can't find it
either. I'd like to, especially one the public domain.

Not having found one, I've started my own last year. But, since I am
doing this 'spare' time, a few measily hours here and there may take
some time. If it ever get's done, public domain is a prime target.
But, like I say, unless I got some financial incentive, it will be
a long way off.

So, if anyone finds one, I'd like to know too. It will save me a lot of work.

Dan Floyd
8<D=

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (12/03/89)

In article <1989Dec2.224013.2834@hellgate.utah.edu>, u-dmfloy%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Daniel M Floyd) wrote:
 >In article <5.UUL1.3#5248@asyst.UUCP> ksb@asyst.UUCP (K. S. Bhaskar) writes:
 >>I have a package that assumes that an Intel floating point co-processor (FPP)
 >>is plugged into the appropriate socket on a PC, and I want to run it on a PC
 >>without such a beast.  Does anyone know of an emulation package that traps the
 >>error that (presumably) occurs when an FPP opcode is generated and then
 >>emulates the instruction and places the results in the correct place?  In
 >>other words, the package needn't be modified, and wouldn't even know that no
 >>FPP existed (other than perhaps re-linking, although something that operates
 >>as a TSR would be even better).  Any other advice would be welcome too.

There is a partial emulator (enough to run Borland languages that were compiled
coprocessor-only) in EMUL87.ARC, which is inside BONUS40.ARC in
PD1:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS> on SIMTEL20.  Requires a 286 machine or better.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (CHRISTER OLSSON) (12/04/89)

In article <5.UUL1.3#5248@asyst.UUCP>, ksb@asyst.UUCP (K. S. Bhaskar) writes:
> I have a package that assumes that an Intel floating point co-processor (FPP)
> is plugged into the appropriate socket on a PC, and I want to run it on a PC
> without such a beast.  Does anyone know of an emulation package that traps the
> error that (presumably) occurs when an FPP opcode is generated and then
> emulates the instruction and places the results in the correct place?  In
> other words, the package needn't be modified, and wouldn't even know that no
> FPP existed (other than perhaps re-linking, although something that operates
> as a TSR would be even better).  Any other advice would be welcome too.
I've seen one emulator based on Turbo-C's floating point emulation routines.

I think it comes from comp.binaries.ibm.pc in this summer and/or was available
from simtel20.

I tested the emulator with some programs and some works, other don't.

jec@nesac2.att.com (John Carter ATLN SADM) (12/07/89)

Public Brand Software (1-800-426-DISK) has em87 on disk UH2.1.
It's a TSR (16K), works on 286/386 machines, shareware fee is $5.

PBS gets $5 disk (5.25 or 3.5) and $5 shipping/handling per order.

No interest in PBS except as a satisfied customer.  Their catalog is accurate,
their service is good.
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, 401 W. Peachtree, FLOC 2932-6, Atlanta GA 30308
Video:	...att!nesac2!jec   ...attmail!jecarter    Voice: 404+581-6239