[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Summary: Should I upgrade Zortech C++

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (11/30/89)

Well, I wasn't exactly flooded with responses, three to be exact.

One promoted his companies C++ front end (Intek C++, $495), which is fine
but I am really interested in a true compiler (which should be able to
generate better code??).

The second said to "watch Borland", but that the might not be fully C++
compatible. That is my fear -- Borland likes to set their own standards.

The third said to look at the c++ newsgroup. I did that, searching for
any postings mentioning "Zortech". My impression is that version 2.0 is
buggier than 1.07!

So with no positive inputs from anywhere, and a bunch of negatives, I have
decided to wait it out for Borland and/or Microsoft.  I might also consider
JPI's rumored C++, as I am very impressed with their Modula-2.

I should have known. My long standing rule is "Never buy any version '.0'
software," and *all* of the Zortech releases have been '.0'.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

keffer@blake.acs.washington.edu (Thomas Keffer) (12/01/89)

In article <6427@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>Well, I wasn't exactly flooded with responses, three to be exact.
>
>One promoted his companies C++ front end (Intek C++, $495), which is fine
>but I am really interested in a true compiler (which should be able to
>generate better code??).
>
>The second said to "watch Borland", but that the might not be fully C++
>compatible. That is my fear -- Borland likes to set their own standards.
>
>The third said to look at the c++ newsgroup. I did that, searching for
>any postings mentioning "Zortech". My impression is that version 2.0 is
>buggier than 1.07!
>
>So with no positive inputs from anywhere, and a bunch of negatives, I have
>decided to wait it out for Borland and/or Microsoft.  I might also consider
>JPI's rumored C++, as I am very impressed with their Modula-2.

I can't offer you an opinion of Modula-2 versus C++, but if you decide
on the latter, definitely upgrade to Zortech 2.0.  Version 1.07 was
barely above the level of being a toy, 2.0 is for real.  It has its
share of bugs, but is far better than 1.07.  No doubt Borland will do
their normal thorough job if and when they come out with a compiler,
but if you need one now, Zortech is perfectly usable.

>I should have known. My long standing rule is "Never buy any version '.0'
>software," and *all* of the Zortech releases have been '.0'.

Well, 1.07 wasn't and it was pretty bad.  2.0 is, and it's pretty
good.  But, it ain't perfect.  Don't say I didn't warn you!

'nuff said.

---
 Dr. Thomas Keffer          | Internet: keffer@ocean.washington.edu
 Rogue Wave                 | BITNET:   keffer%ocean.washington.edu@UWAVM
 Seattle, WA 98145          | uucp:     uw-beaver!ocean.washington.edu!keffer
 (206) 523-5831             | Telemail: T.KEFFER/OMNET

Disclaimer:  We market C++ products that use Zortech, but otherwise
have no connection.

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (12/02/89)

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>Well, I wasn't exactly flooded with responses, three to be exact.

>One promoted his companies C++ front end (Intek C++, $495), which is fine
>but I am really interested in a true compiler (which should be able to
>generate better code??).

*ahem* 'twas I ... No, a true compiler should be *faster in compiling* and
probably easier to debug, but the quality of generated code when using a
C++ translator then depends upon the underlying C compiler.  A translator
then gives you choice of the processor for which you generate code, as well:
8088 or 80386 or 34010, or whatever C compiler you have.

No doubt native-code compilers will come to predominate in coming years, but
for the moment Cfront certainly has a niche to fill.

And obviously I'm totally prejudiced on this point ...
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (12/07/89)

In Mark McWiggins writes:
> *ahem* 'twas I ... No, a true compiler should be *faster in compiling* and
> probably easier to debug, but the quality of generated code when using a
> C++ translator then depends upon the underlying C compiler.  A translator
> then gives you choice of the processor for which you generate code, as well:
> 8088 or 80386 or 34010, or whatever C compiler you have.
>
> No doubt native-code compilers will come to predominate in coming years, but
> for the moment Cfront certainly has a niche to fill.
>
> And obviously I'm totally prejudiced on this point ...

Note that AT&T's first support of C++ was in fact a pre-processor
which generated "standard" C source.  I thought that was a great idea
at the time, since we could write C++ programs and then feed the AT&T
output to the target C compiler of our choice (not AT&T's, one which
we considered more optimized for our particular target machine).

AT&T's approach was flexible and valid for our particular
requirements.   So you may be prejudiced, but on good grounds, I
believe.
Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.