[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What is a ST-412 hard disk?

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (12/06/89)

I've rescued a Seagate ST-412 full height hard disk that was presumed dead.
(And isn't).

Does anyone know what size disk this is supposed to be? And what the disk
geometry is? (# heads, # tracks, # sec/track, pre_comp cyl, ecc, etc...).

DISK MANAGER thinks it is a 10Mb disk (2 heads 610 tracks etc...).
However, half way through the format process the drive head returns to track
zero and makes a second pass over the disk. The net result is that the disk
gets formatted as 5Mb with the tracks numbered 305 to 610. (Doesn't work).

When I tell DISK MANAGER to just use 305 tracks it formats good as 5Mb and
works well with DOS.
(On this old drive I can see the head positioning mechanism).

The previous owner claims that the disk is 10Mb and that it wouldn't format
or work at all any more.

The drive was removed from a very old IBM brand PC or XT. The drive has an
IBM face plate. The interface card attached to the drive says ST406.

Perhaps the drive is 4 heads by 305 tracks (10Mb) with 2 heads shot... ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (12/08/89)

In article <315@trux.UUCP> car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>I've rescued a Seagate ST-412 full height hard disk that was presumed dead.
>(And isn't).

[text deleted]
The information I have states that it has 306 tracks and 4 heads. The
precomp and redwrc tracks are 128 and it uses step mode 7. According to the
table I have, the drive should hold ~10Mb, perhaps a little more.
----
Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!palomar!dougm>
"All of us is smarter than each of us!"