[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Mathematical equations and WordPerfect 5.1

jeffrey@ut-emx.UUCP (Jeff Achtermann) (12/08/89)

Hi!

I'm interested in reactions from people who have used the mathematical
equations editor in the new 5.1 version of WordPerfect.  I currently
use TeX running on a Vax for my heavy-duty equation typesetting but
would like to be able to use my PC for simple equations (writing
tests and homework problems, for example).  WordPerfect caught my
eye because of their educational discount.

Specifically, I am interested in:
   -  How easy (or hard) is it to use the WordPerfect equations
      editor (compared say, to TeX)?
   -  What math symbols are provided?  Does it have the entire
      Greek alphabet in upper and lower case?
   -  What quality output does it produce on a dot-matrix graphics
      printer (I have an Epson FX-85)?

I currently use MicroSoft Word on my PC and would like to stay with
it if I could get it to typeset mathematical equations.  Does anyone
know of any add-in products for Word that can do equations?  Or,
better yet, if MicroSoft will add equations to Word in their never
ending battle to outdo WordPerfect?

Thanks for your time!

--
Jeff Achtermann
  Internet: jeffrey@astro.as.utexas.edu         MaBell: 512-471-3310

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (12/08/89)

Jeff Achtermann writes:

> I'm interested in reactions from people who have used the mathematical
> equations editor in the new 5.1 version of WordPerfect.

>    -  How easy (or hard) is it to use the WordPerfect equations
>       editor (compared say, to TeX)?

It's fairly easy, but I haven't used TeX so I can't compare them.

>    -  What math symbols are provided?  Does it have the entire
>       Greek alphabet in upper and lower case?

Everything you might want and more. Has greek in upper, lower,
and variations.

>    -  What quality output does it produce on a dot-matrix graphics
>       printer (I have an Epson FX-85)?

OK on a laser, don't know about Epson.

Jim Winer -- post, don't email, I usually can't reply.
opinions not necessarily |  "And remember, rebooting your brain
and do not represent     |   can be tricky." -- Chris Miller
any other sane person    |
especially not employer. |