[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm

U0N@PSUVM.BITNET (John B. Kalbach, Jr.) (07/23/87)

I have been using Procomm version 2.4.2 for a while now and I was wondering
if anyone in netland has heard when a new version of Procomm is coming out?
I am very pleased with the present version. Has anyone heard of anything?
Thank you.

John Kalbach
Penn State University
Microcomputer Information and Support Center
103 Computation Center
University Park, PA 16802
(814) 863-4356

 ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!u0n
 u0n%psuvm.bitnet@wscvm.arpa

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (07/24/87)

I have received a number of questions about Procomm lately, both in my mailbox
and over the net, So I thought I would give the latest information that I know.

The latest version is 2.4.2.  Datastorm is actively working on a new version,
but it is not yet completed.

Procomm has the following transfer protocols available as of the latest version:
XModem                                    Kermit
Telink (used by Epson Geneva?)            Modem7
YModem                                    YModem batch
ASCII text (no error checking)            Compuserve B protocol
Windowed XModem.

The terminal emulations are as follows:
DEC VT-100              DEC VT-52
Televidio 920           Televidio 950
Lear Siegler ADM5       Heath 19 (Z-100)
ANSI BBS                ADDS Viewpoint
IBM 3101                Wyse 100

I know it is available on Compuserve, as well as almost all BBS's.  Datastorm
has a support BBS that has the program available.  Their number is:
(314) 449-9401 and they are located in Columbia, Moussouri.  If you can't
download it, just send me 2 formatted MS-DOS 5 1/4" floppies in a
self addressed stamped mailer and I will send you the latest version.  If you
don't have any mailers handy, send me $5.00 and youar address and I'll send you
the disks.  Let me know if you need an unarcing program.  They will be arced
with PKARC, like it or not :-)  I'll put a copy on the disk, if you want.
Send this to:

	Grant Prellwitz
	Prellwitz Computing Services
        1304 East 54th Street
	Chicago, IL  60615

Remember: Procomm is Shareware.  That means that if you try it and use it, you
are morally obligated to pay for it.  I get no remuneration (except a good
feeling) for your registrations.  The registration fee is only $25, well worth
it.  There is a registered user's support BBS, as well.

BTW, I have no intention of posting this program to the net, so don't even
ask.  even arced, it takes almost two full disks (the documentation is one of
those).  Only Brandon could make me change my mind, and I don't want people
bugging him, either!

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (07/24/87)

Telink is used on a few BBS's I have seen all over the place.  I don't
know where it came from initially.
Smitty
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (07/25/87)

In article <13507@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>Telink is used on a few BBS's I have seen all over the place.  I don't
>know where it came from initially.
>Smitty

   Telink is an extention of xmodem.  Tom Jennings (developer of
   FidoNet added the extention to carry file status information
   such as name, size, and date/time created/modified.  The
   FidoNet protocol uses it for file transfers (sealink is being
   added to the protocol to get throughput up higher for long
   distance calles).

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

mawilson@violet.berkeley.edu (Mike Wilson) (07/26/87)

     I've been using kermit for several years to get files from
UNIX's to my PC with no problem. I recently got a copy of
PROCOMM (ver 2.4.2) and have not been able to get kermit to work
from PROCOMM. I have a recent version of KERMIT (2.29b) and I know
IT works fine. Exiting PROCOMM, using KERMIT, then re-entering
PROCOMM works, but seems a bit of a waste. Any advice on how to get
it working properly?
     Thanks,
Mike Wilson

hans@garfield.UUCP (07/27/87)

In article <4491@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mawilson@violet.berkeley.edu (Mike Wilson) writes:

>      I've been using kermit for several years to get files from
> UNIX's to my PC with no problem. I recently got a copy of
> PROCOMM (ver 2.4.2) and have not been able to get kermit to work
> from PROCOMM. I have a recent version of KERMIT (2.29b) and I know
> IT works fine. Exiting PROCOMM, using KERMIT, then re-entering
> PROCOMM works, but seems a bit of a waste. Any advice on how to get
> it working properly?
>      Thanks,
> Mike Wilson

I, too, had troubles with using the kermit protocol on UNIX and
VMS using the latest procomm.  Since I like procomm for its
allround capabilities, I would appreciate the settings for binary
and text file transfer from someone who has used it for pc-
mainframe interaction.

Hans Rollmann, Department of Religious Studies, Memorial
University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NF, Canada A1C 5S7:
hans@garfield.uucp
hans@munucs.uucp
hans@garfield.mun.cdn
hans@kean.mun.cdn
bitnet::"hans@mun"

tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (07/27/87)

<*>
I liked procomm enough to actually pay the registration fee, but
occasionally I am exasperated by the problems caused by settings
that are seemingly unrelated.

Look at D/L File settings "<alt-s> 4<cr> 2<cr>"
if this is not set correctly then procomm does not know where
to place the results of the Kermit download.  In my case:
"c:\bin\comm\tmp\"
note the trailing "\".  Procomm trashes incoming files if it
does not understand where to put them.  (There is a quick message
telling you what the problem is but it FLASHES, and you need
to scroll lock to see it.)

Look at the Kermit settings "<alt-s> 3<cr>" next, they probably
are ok, but ask your local programmer support staff what the
mainframe Kermit is set for.  I once had to change from 1-byte
checksum to 3-byte CRC.

Hope that this is of help,  I never found any help on this from the
Procomm manual.
--
                         Terry Sterkel
        {clyde|harvard|cbosgd|allegra|ulysses|ihnp4}!whuts!tes

bmelli@ccvaxa.UUCP (07/27/87)

>/* Written  8:54 pm  Jul 25, 1987 by mawilson@violet.berkeley.edu in ccvaxa:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>     I've been using kermit for several years to get files from
>UNIX's to my PC with no problem. I recently got a copy of
>PROCOMM (ver 2.4.2) and have not been able to get kermit to work
>from PROCOMM. I have a recent version of KERMIT (2.29b) and I know
>IT works fine. Exiting PROCOMM, using KERMIT, then re-entering
>PROCOMM works, but seems a bit of a waste. Any advice on how to get
>it working properly?
>     Thanks,
>Mike Wilson

Make sure you are calling with 8 data bits. That solved it for
me.

-- Bruno Melli
-- Gould CSD Urbana, Ilinois

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (07/28/87)

Check your parity setting.  The ProComm kermit option is very picky
about it.  I have my best luck with SPACE parity.

The fact that it changes when you exit and re-enter implies that
ProComm is not getting initialized properly.  Be sure you have a
procomm variable set in your environment.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

nomad@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU (07/28/87)

Telink is used by every Fido and Opus board in the world. I don't recall
if Fido makes it available for file downloads, but Opus does. Telink is
used for FidoMail - it is the protocol.
 That makes about 2059 (at last count) BBSs in the world who use telink.
A pretty good installed base, I would say. :-)

nomad@orstcs
-------------------------
LEE DAMON		FidoNet: 152/201 (The Castle) - (503) 757-8841
nomad@cs.orst.edu	CSnet:  nomad@cs.orst.edu
"Real soon now!"	UUCP :  {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!nomad

    "I've gone out and I don't think I'm expected back."

hans@garfield.UUCP (07/29/87)

In article <27000001@ccvaxa>, bmelli@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
> >PROCOMM works, but seems a bit of a waste. Any advice on how to get
> >Mike Wilson
> Make sure you are calling with 8 data bits. That solved it for
> me.
> -- Bruno Melli
> -- Gould CSD Urbana, Ilinois

You're 100% on with your suggestion to use 8 bits when initiating
kermit from procom.  I succeeded for the first time when
following your advice.  Although I have to use 7 bits for
coherent
communication with our UNIX mainframe, I have to change
parameters immediately preceding and following the kermit-
assisted transfer.  Thanks for the hint.
Hans Rollmann: hans@garfield.uucp  hans@garfield.mun.cdn
hans@mun.bitnet  hans@kean.mun.cdn  hrollman@munucs.uucp

maxg@tekig4.TEK.COM (Max Guernsey) (07/30/87)

I've procomm several times, and what I don't understand is why
you would pay for procomm, when you can get Kermit free.

Kermit works well, has a great vt100 and h19 terminal emulators,
downloads well (not fast), and is basically bug free.  The source
for Kermit is available.

What am I missing about PROCOMM?

Max Guernsey

rod@cpocd2.UUCP (Rod Rebello) (07/30/87)

In article <1736@tekig4.TEK.COM> maxg@tekig4.UUCP (Max Guernsey) writes:

>I've procomm several times, and what I don't understand is why
>you would pay for procomm, when you can get Kermit free.
>
>Kermit works well, has a great vt100 and h19 terminal emulators,
>downloads well (not fast), and is basically bug free.  The source
>for Kermit is available.
>
>What am I missing about PROCOMM?
>
>Max Guernsey

I don't know much about the kermit package you are using, but Procomm
has many other protocals besides kermit available.  I frequently
use many local BBS's which do not support kermit.  The ability to
up/down load files to these systems is very important to me.  And the
cost is almost next to nothing - $25 (you can try it out for free).

There are a number of other features that I like, but since I am not
familier with your kermit package, I really can't compare them.

	Rod Rebello
	...!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!rod

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (08/01/87)

In article <1736@tekig4.TEK.COM> maxg@tekig4.UUCP (Max Guernsey) writes:
>I've procomm several times, and what I don't understand is why
>you would pay for procomm, when you can get Kermit free.
>Kermit works well, has a great vt100 and h19 terminal emulators,
>downloads well (not fast), and is basically bug free.  The source
>for Kermit is available.
>What am I missing about PROCOMM?
1. Procomm supports other protocols besides Kermit.  Not everybody in the
world speaks Kermit, you know.  Procomm handles 9 different comm. protocols.

2. Terminal emulations.  You say Kermit has two great terminal emulators (the
version I remember only had one, and it wasn't too good. Maybe there's a
newer version.)  Procomm supports 10 different terminal types.  I use the
TVI 920 emulation myself.  It's nice because Less on the UNIX system I use
is smart enough to use the TVI control codes so that underlined material
in the text appears in high-intensity on my screen, and boldface text appears
in reverse video.  The H19 only supports reversed video, I believe.
(Interestingly enough, last time I checked, the great Crosstalk's alleged
TVI 920 emulator completely ignored highlighting control codes.)

3. Built-in dialing directory with auto-redial feature.  I use this a lot.
You can enter a phone number in the directory and associate it with a command
file so that when Procomm sees that the modem has made contact with the modem
on the other end, it *automatically* executes the command script.

4. You say Procomm has a bug in its Kermit emulation.  My experience is that
Procomm will not download binary files from Fido boards in Kermit mode.  I've
heard various places that a. this is a Fido bug or b. this is a Procomm bug.
I don't know.  For what it's worth, I never was able to successfully download
binary files under Kermit protocol using Kermit, either.

Frankly, I don't see Procomm as that expensive.  For $35 for registration
and diskettes, or $50 for registration and diskettes and the printed manual,
it's in my opinion the best communication package around.  I've only begun
to scratch the surface of its capabilities.

What I don't understand is why anybody buys Crosstalk.  Have the people
who make Crosstalk yet made either a communications protocol or a
terminal emulator that *works*?
Richard Todd
USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069
UUCP: {allegra!cbosgd|ihnp4}!okstate!uokmax!rmtodd

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (08/02/87)

In article <636@uokmax.UUCP> rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) writes:
>In article <1736@tekig4.TEK.COM> maxg@tekig4.UUCP (Max Guernsey) writes:
>>I've procomm several times, and what I don't understand is why
>>you would pay for procomm, when you can get Kermit free.
>>What am I missing about PROCOMM?
>1. Procomm supports other protocols besides Kermit.  Not everybody in the
>world speaks Kermit, you know.  Procomm handles 9 different comm. protocols.
>
>...Frankly, I don't see Procomm as that expensive.  For $35 for registration
>and diskettes, or $50 for registration and diskettes and the printed manual,
>it's in my opinion the best communication package around.  I've only begun

My registration cost $25 -- if you just register. Let me tell you that
I have not spent $25 better since I've had a modem!

Hell, in Hawaii, it costs more to sit and stare out the window than
it does for Procomm.

Cost therefore, becomes a relative thing...

Aloha,

--
Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons

alang@masscomp.UUCP (08/03/87)

>It's nice because Less on the UNIX system I use
>is smart enough to use the TVI control codes so that underlined material
>in the text appears in high-intensity on my screen, and boldface text appears
>in reverse video.

Smart enough so that underlined text comes out bold and bold comes out
reverse video. Typical Unix.

koonce@math.Berkeley.EDU (tim koonce) (09/07/88)

Is Procomm  public domain/freeware/shareware ??  If so, how can I get
a copy?  Does it come with _complete_ documentation?

(If I can get a copy via Email, that's great, except that I have NO
archiving programs, so I can't de-archive.  Do have a full set of
Unix utilities, though, here on the mainframe.)

					- Tim Koonce

koonce@math.berkeley.edu
...!ucbvax!math!koonce

kjc@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT4134000~Kevin Coulter~C29~L18~6282~) (09/07/88)

In article <13962@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> koonce@math.berkeley.edu writes:

>Is Procomm  public domain/freeware/shareware ??  If so, how can I get
>a copy?  Does it come with _complete_ documentation?

Procomm has a shareware version and a commercial version. The shareware version has dox available for it if you register it. (I forget what the going rate is).
Procomm Plus - the commercial version - naturally comes with dox & you can buy it at most stores/mail order houses in the $70-$80 range. I would go for PC Plus.I will be buying it soon. If you want just Procomm, you can find it on most BBS's. There is also a file called PCPLUSTD.ARC out there on the boards that is
PCPLUS with no dox & some cmds disabled.

				Kevin

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (09/08/88)

In article <2047@cuuxb.ATT.COM> kjc@cuuxb.UUCP (Kevin Coulter) writes:
>In article <13962@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> koonce@math.berkeley.edu writes:
>>
>>Is Procomm  public domain/freeware/shareware ??  If so, how can I get
>>a copy?  Does it come with _complete_ documentation?
>

>Procomm has a shareware version and a commercial version. The shareware version
>has dox available for it if you register it. (I forget what the going rate is).

Procomm (shareware) comes with a complete documentation file on disk.
You get a printed, bound copy of the documentation with the other
stuff when you register. Procomm+ Test Drive (PCPLUSTD.ARC on a BBS)
is a "try-before-you-buy" version of Procomm+. It doesn't support some
of the full version's functions, and you get a very abbreviated set of
documentation.

I highly recommend both Procomm and Procomm+, with a higher
recommendation for Procomm+, because it has more nifty features and is
a smoother product.

	Sean Malloy
	Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc.arpa

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (09/08/88)

you say you have access to Unix system?  if you have UUDECODE
I will be glad to send it to ya.

Vaprak@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!vaprak

leif@ambone.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) (09/08/88)

koonce@math.Berkeley.EDU (tim koonce) writes:
>Is Procomm  public domain/freeware/shareware ??  If so, how can I get
>a copy?  Does it come with _complete_ documentation?

Procomm 2.4.2 is shareware (as far as I remember) and you can get a
copy from most BBS'.

Procomm Plus is NOT public in anyway - that's buy software (cheap).
But both 2.4.2 and Plus contain pages and pages of documentation.

>(If I can get a copy via Email, that's great, except that I have NO
>archiving programs, so I can't de-archive.  Do have a full set of
>Unix utilities, though, here on the mainframe.)

You will most likely find PKPAK/UNPAK at the same BBS - you need it to
de-...hive (I don't wan't to go to court!) Procomm.

   Leif Andrew Rump, Ambrasoft A/S, Roejelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte (Denmark)
 UUCP: leif@ambone.dk, phone: +45 2424 111; ABC BBS: +45 68 00 544 (2:505/38)

Please note the node-change:                    Ambone, Italian for a pulpit
(The following interpretations emerged          Am_bone, Ambrasoft A/S bone
 when Ambone was put down on paper and          Amb_one, Ambrasoft A/S #one
 accepted - they are solely mine!!!!!)          ...

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/10/88)

You might also be perfectly happy with ProComm 2.42, the previously
supported shareware version.  There were lots of bugs in the
ProComm Plus Test Drive versions I downloaded, though the worst of
them have since been fixed.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

billm@ccicpg.UUCP (Morita Bill) (09/11/88)

Does anybody know is there is a version of Procomm that supports
REDIAL from command files??  I have version of Procomm that came
with my Practical Periferials modem.   Included was a dialing list
"sorting" program.  This programs sucks!  When you sort, it places
all the blank (unused) entries at the start of the list.  Is there
a program that allows me to dump the dialing directory to text,
manipuate the text (edit, sort etc.) and reload it??

	Thanks in advance.

		-Bill Morita

VXL103@PSUVM.BITNET (12/04/88)

Hello ...

I just recently downloaded the prcmdoc2.arc file from the simtel20 archives.
It contains the ProComm 2.42 manual.  When I perused the manual with my
editor, I found that several printer codes (or what seems to be that) were
interspersed.  I also found that the word "Procomm" was strewn between every
few lines of text.  What I would like to do is to print a readable copy of this
manual.  Could somebody help me out?  I would also like to know if there is an
updated version of Procomm relative to 2.42.  I can't seem to find a higher
version.

I have downloaded Procomm from several sources and have come across the same
situations concerning the manual, so I doubt that my downloading techniques
need to be questioned.

Thanks in advance ...

Vincent Lai

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (12/07/88)

The sequences are along the lines of "carriage-return without linefeed;
pad with blanks" and are there to cause certain words such as "ProComm"
to be overstruck on lineprinters that can do this sort of overtyping
but don't have a boldface font (e.g., generic dot-matrix printers).

Print it on a dot-matrix printer (my Epson RX-80 worked fine), or edit
the excess stuff out (a pain, but do-able).

scarlett@watserv1.waterloo.edu (B. Scarlett) (12/08/89)

What is the difference (non monetary:) between Procomm and Procomm Plus?
(assuming both are Datastorm products).

--
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned                    Scarlett@watserv1
Father it was either me or him,                         U. of Waterloo