[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CD ROMS and Audio Cd Players

greenstr@cstw75.prl.philips.nl (Roland Greenstreet) (12/07/89)

Hi,

 I don't know if this is possible but maybe someone can help me. I have
been wondering if it is possible to connect an normal CD player , maybe with
some modification , to a IBM AT compatable to read CD ROMS. If this is
possible what sort of interface would be necessary? I have seen something
simualar done with an audio cd player being connected to two machines
one for the tracking and the other for sound processing in the Personal
Computer World magazine.

 On my cd player , a Technics SLP-2 , on the back there is a 'feature'
connecter. This connecter has five pins in it. Is this of any help to
solving the above problem as I have no idea as to what it is for.

 If an manage to connect it all up is the data on the CD ROMS stored in a
special format? If it is does anybody know what this format is?

Thanks for Any Help

R.J.Greenstreet

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (12/08/89)

In article <806@prles2.UUCP> greenstr@cstw75.prl.philips.nl (Roland
Greenstreet) writes:
>  I don't know if this is possible but maybe someone can help me. I have
> been wondering if it is possible to connect an normal CD player , maybe
> with some modification , to a IBM AT compatable to read CD ROMS.

No.  Not without adding enough electronics to make the drive a CD-ROM
player.  Note that you might also have problems with the duty cycle of the
motors on a regular audio CD player; CD-ROM drives usually have better
drive components to stand the increased seeking.

>  If an manage to connect it all up is the data on the CD ROMS stored in a
> special format? If it is does anybody know what this format is?

Most MS-DOS CD-ROM discs (and many Macintosh discs) are in ISO 9660 format
(or its older predecessor, High Sierra.)  You can obtain a copy of the ISO
9660 format from ECMA, the European Computer Manufacturer's Association.
The address is
    ECMA Headquarters
    114 Rue du Rhone
    1204 Geneva