[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can I make my modem shut up?

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (12/06/89)

I have a Hayes 1200 bps modem, which usually makes a loud noise when
I dial, so I know when it is dialing, when the other end answers
etc.

Just now, it suddenly went quiet and I thought it was broken. It
made no sound at any time. However, it was still dialing and getting
through OK. When I switched it off and back on again, it started
making noises again.

I have no documentation for the Hayes command set. Is there a
command that tells the modem not to make dialing noises etc, as this
would be useful at night when the only way I have found of keeping
it from disturbing others is to cover the speaker with my hand.

Thanks

Richard Stanton

pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (12/06/89)

My Hayes-compatible modem accepts:

	ATL0  -  speaker volume LOW.	1 = MEDIUM, 2 = LOUD (default).

	ATM0  -  speaker always OFF.	1 = On for dialing (default),
					2 = On always (for testing purposes).

I put these in the initialization string of my terminal emulator.

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (12/06/89)

In article <6243@lindy.Stanford.EDU> LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
>I have no documentation for the Hayes command set. Is there a
>command that tells the modem not to make dialing noises etc,

ATM0 = Speaker always off
ATM1 = Speaker on until a carrier signal is detected
ATM2 = Speaker is always on (but why? :-)
ATM3 = Speaker on until carrier signal is detected, but off when dialing

ATL0 = Speaker volume set to low
ATL1 = Speaker volume set to low
ATL2 = Speaker volume set to medium
ATL3 = Speaker volume set to high

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 ARPA - hartung@amos.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (12/06/89)

In article <6243@lindy.Stanford.EDU> LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
>I have a Hayes 1200 bps modem, which usually makes a loud noise when
>I dial, so I know when it is dialing, when the other end answers
>etc.
>
>Thanks
>
>Richard Stanton

Send it: ATM0

That's a ZERO, not an OH. That should make it be silent at all times.

Fred

erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) (12/06/89)

In article <6243@lindy.Stanford.EDU> LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:

>I have no documentation for the Hayes command set. Is there a
>command that tells the modem not to make dialing noises etc, as this

Try ATM0.  This shuts up the modem.  If you want it to be permanent, try
ATM0&W.  This writes your parameters into non-volatile RAM in the modem.
Alternately, you might want to stuff it into your dialing prgram (if any).

--------------------------- discard all after this line ------------------------
Ed Carp	N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5) ...!attctc!puzzle!khijol!erc   (home) (512) 445-2044
Snail Mail:  1800 E. Stassney  #1205 Austin, Tx  78744

"You may think you're smart, Pierce, but you're STUPID!  But, you've met your
 match in ME!"  - Col. Flagg
"Good tea.  Nice house."  -- Worf

drezac@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) (12/07/89)

From article <6243@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, by LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton):

> I have no documentation for the Hayes command set. Is there a
> command that tells the modem not to make dialing noises etc, as this
> would be useful at night when the only way I have found of keeping
> it from disturbing others is to cover the speaker with my hand.
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard Stanton
>
> pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

HAYES MODEM COMANDS FOR THE SPEAKER:

ATLn    where n = 1-3, Speaker volume, 1=low,2=med. 3=high
ATMn    where n =0-3 , 0 = speaker off
		       1 = Speaker on untill carrier signal is detected
		       2 = Speaker on continuously
		       3 = Speaker stays on untill a carrier is detected,
			   except when the modem is dialing

Duane L. Rezac

--
Verse of the Hour:
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not

drone@s.cs.uiuc.edu (12/08/89)

     Beleive it or not, my Hayes-compatible does it a bit differently.

ATM?   where ? = 0          turns speaker off
                 1          turns speaker on
                 2           speaker is louder
                 3          speaker is loudest

					Stephen

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (12/09/89)

In article <6243@lindy.Stanford.EDU> LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
$I have a Hayes 1200 bps modem, which usually makes a loud noise when
$I dial, so I know when it is dialing, when the other end answers
$etc.

There are two commands you use to control the speaker:

ATMn:  monitor speaker control
	n=0:  speaker always off
	n=1:  speaker on until connect
	n=2:  speaker always on
	n=3:  speaker on after autodial until connect

ATLn:  speaker volume
	n=0:  speaker low
	n=1:  speaker low
	n=2:  speaker medium
	n=3:  speaker high
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";