[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Any Packard Bell wizards out there?

tim@fortytwo.UUCP (Tim Baker) (12/08/89)

Has ANYONE seen this error message or know why I am getting it on
a Packard Bell machine with a 286 CPU.  It occurs when I run
several programs so I know it is not the software.

How compatible are Packard Bells?

Has anyone had any other problems related to this?

I would very much appreciate a reply.  Thanks!

--
== Tim Baker   |  think!fortytwo!tim or       |    We all need new frontiers. ==
== 	       |  uunet!hbiso!fortytwo!tim    |		   - Journey	      ==

root@ycomp.UUCP (The Super User) (12/09/89)

In article <265@fortytwo.UUCP>, tim@fortytwo.UUCP (Tim Baker) writes:
> Has ANYONE seen this error message or know why I am getting it on
> a Packard Bell machine with a 286 CPU.  It occurs when I run
> several programs so I know it is not the software.
>
> How compatible are Packard Bells?
>
> Has anyone had any other problems related to this?
>
> I would very much appreciate a reply.  Thanks!

I have seen this problem on a Packard Bell 286, I think it was a PB900.
Only a few programs were affected. Some of them were WordPerfect programs
(I don't remember which ones). Packard Bell tech support and WordPerfect
had no idea what was wrong. The message is being generated when the program
is loaded. The problem seems to stem from where in memory the program loads.
Increasing the starting location of the TPA will get around the error. An
easy way to do this is increase the number of buffers in CONFIG.SYS.

I have seen a few hardware compatability problems with the Packard Bell 286
machines (memory boards, modems and network cards).

Hope this helps.
			Bob Campbell

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (12/10/89)

In article <265@fortytwo.UUCP> tim@fortytwo.UUCP (Tim Baker) writes:
$Has ANYONE seen this error message or know why I am getting it on
$a Packard Bell machine with a 286 CPU.  It occurs when I run
$several programs so I know it is not the software.

   That's not a Packard Bell message, it's a standard MS-DOS message.
It means that an .EXE file in packed form is ... well, corrupt!  There's
at least one byte wrong.

   .EXE programs can be run through a utility called EXEPACK (and recent
versions of Microsoft's linker have a switch that does the same) which,
in most cases, reduces their sizes (sometimes by quite a bit - I have
a couple of 200K or so .EXEs that lose 15-20K when exepacked!).  This
is done with a repeated-byte compression sequence on bytes containing
zeroes.  If the loader determines that something is wrong in a packed
file (for instance, a repeated string of zero bytes that was not packed),
it will generate this message.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";