[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need Info on Memory and Math Chip Speeds for 286

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (12/05/89)

   [I'd ask Packard Bell, but their phone is always busy  1/2-)]

   I have a Packard Bell 6/12MH 286 Clone (the Legend V/Force 286 Model)
   with 1MB memory, DOS 3.3.

   Q1:  I would like to upgrade the 4 motherboard 256K SIMMS with
        1MB SIMMS but don't know how fast I need the memory to
        be (100NS? 80NS?).  The current chips didn't have any speed
        info on them.

   Q2:  The User's Manual mentions that the 80287 math co-processor
        should be either 6 or 12 MH.  The fastest availiable at the
        most economic cost is only running 10MH.  The only one I see
        advertised at 12MH is the 80C287-A.  Can I use either or neither?

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

BHB3@PSUVM.BITNET (12/05/89)

In article <176@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) says:

>   [I'd ask Packard Bell, but their phone is always busy  1/2-)]
>
>   I have a Packard Bell 6/12MH 286 Clone (the Legend V/Force 286 Model)
>   with 1MB memory, DOS 3.3.
>
>   Q1:  I would like to upgrade the 4 motherboard 256K SIMMS with
>        1MB SIMMS but don't know how fast I need the memory to
>        be (100NS? 80NS?).  The current chips didn't have any speed
>        info on them.
>
>   Q2:  The User's Manual mentions that the 80287 math co-processor
>        should be either 6 or 12 MH.  The fastest availiable at the
>        most economic cost is only running 10MH.  The only one I see
>        advertised at 12MH is the 80C287-A.  Can I use either or neither?
>

>--
>Marc Ries
>           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)
>           somewhere!trwind!venice!ries (UUCP)
>           #include <std.disclaimer>

At 12 Mhz, you should use 100 ns parts, but I would get 80 ns, since they
cost maybe $10 more per SIMM and then you could use them in a future 386
upgrade.  Checkout California Microchip in Computer Shopper. The were

selling 1Mbitx9 SIMM's for $115.

                                                   Brent H. Besler

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (12/10/89)

In article <176@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> ries@venice.sedd.trw.com (Marc Ries) writes:
$   I have a Packard Bell 6/12MH 286 Clone (the Legend V/Force 286 Model)
$   with 1MB memory, DOS 3.3.
$   Q1:  I would like to upgrade the 4 motherboard 256K SIMMS with
$        1MB SIMMS but don't know how fast I need the memory to
$        be (100NS? 80NS?).  The current chips didn't have any speed
$        info on them.

   My 12 MHz machine requires 80 ns RAM for zero wait states, and I imagine
any normal sort of speed (100, 120, 150) would work at one wait state (I'm
using 100 ns parts because that's what was on the board and I can't afford
to trash them and put in 80 ns parts).

$   Q2:  The User's Manual mentions that the 80287 math co-processor
$        should be either 6 or 12 MH.  The fastest availiable at the
$        most economic cost is only running 10MH.  The only one I see
$        advertised at 12MH is the 80C287-A.  Can I use either or neither?

   Usually (always?) the 287 is run at 2/3 the clock speed of the 286, so
you shouldn't need the 12 MHz part ... but I'm not speaking from experience,
as I can't afford (or justify) a 287.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (12/11/89)

>In article <176@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> ries@venice.sedd.trw.com (Marc Ries) writes:
>$   I have a Packard Bell 6/12MH 286 Clone (the Legend V/Force 286 Model)
>$   with 1MB memory, DOS 3.3.
>$        advertised at 12MH is the 80C287-A.  Can I use either or neither?

Don't buy the 80C287-A for you machine!  It's in a new packaging that
won't fit in your coprocessor socket!!  It's a low-power cmos part that
fits in some new laptops.

Davin