[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to recover deleted files.

koba@tutgw.tut.junet (koba) (12/05/89)

 I deleted programs from hard disk (20 MB) by an accident.
I would like to recover the deleted files. Does anybody know
a good recovery tool or how to recover by the MS-DOS debugger ?
My computer is an XT-clone.

                              koba%tut.ac.jp@RELAY.CS.NET

pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) (12/07/89)

     I use norton utilities to recover erased files.  It is one set of programs
     that every one should have in their library.

     Paul Taira

bobc@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) (12/07/89)

In article <678@tutgw.tut.junet>, koba@tutgw.tut.junet (koba) writes:

>  I deleted programs from hard disk (20 MB) by an accident.
> I would like to recover the deleted files. Does anybody know
> a good recovery tool or how to recover by the MS-DOS debugger ?
> My computer is an XT-clone.

On a related note, I have a user who ambitiously performed

RECOVER C:

on his hard disk.  Now the system won't recognize the drive as a DOS disk.
Is there any way to restore this disk without having to learn how to doctor
FATs?  Or is he sunk?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

bob@attctc

gm@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary Mathews) (12/07/89)

In article <678@tutgw.tut.junet> koba@tutgw.tut.junet (koba) writes:

> I deleted programs from hard disk (20 MB) by an accident.
>I would like to recover the deleted files. Does anybody know
>a good recovery tool or how to recover by the MS-DOS debugger ?
>My computer is an XT-clone.

	If you can get your hands on Norton Utilities, Mace Utilities,
PC Tools Deluxe or any other file/disk management program then you have a good
chance of recovering your files as long as you don't write new files to your
hard disk.  Your deleted files are still on the hard disk until there are
overwritten by a new file.  With norton utility all you have to do is type
"qu" for quick-unerase and your will be prompted for each deleted file.
There are also undelete utilites in public domain and bboards.  What utilities
do you have?  If you don't have any such programs, don't write any large files
to your hard disk and get a copy of a utility program a.s.a.p.  If you can get
your hands on a program then your in business.

Gary Jason Mathews      | gm@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
Columbia University     | Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.
------------------------+ CPU time flies when you have a lot of bugs

In article <10501@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> bobc@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) writes:
>I have a user who ambitiously performed
>
>RECOVER C:
>
>on his hard disk.  Now the system won't recognize the drive as a DOS disk.
>Is there any way to restore this disk without having to learn how to doctor
>FATs?  Or is he sunk?
>
>Any and all help greatly appreciated.

	As with most disk problems, Norton Utilities could help if you have it
or can copy it from some one.  The Norton Disk Doctor can reconstruct the disk,
fat table and directories and files if necessary.  Just execute "ndd /complete"
and it will run a complete diagnostic and resolution if possible. The program
might give you a warning that some or all files may be los, but in most cases,
Norton Utilities can solve your problems.

You just can't do anything without having Norton Utilities --
I have it and use it often for all of it's utilities.

Gary Jason Mathews      | gm@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
Columbia University     | Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.
------------------------+ CPU time flies when you have a lot of bugs

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (12/11/89)

How about Norton's QU (Quick Undelete) ? All you'll have to do is to
go into the directory containing the deleted files and type QU. Then
the program will prompt you for which files to undelete and ask you
to fill in the first character of the file name. Of courses, you'll
have to get hold of QU.EXE first  :-).

If you have deleted the directory, you'll need UD.EXE to start with,
undelete the directory first and go in there to undelete the files.

Of course, you will not be able to do it all the time. Sometimes, the
deleted files get over-written .....

Regards,
Peter Lim.
HP Singapore IC Design Center.

      E-mail address:              plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM
      Snail Mail address:          Peter Lim
                                   Hewlett Packard Singapore,
                                   (ICDS, ICS)
                                   1150, Depot Road,
                                   Singapore   0410.
      Telephone:                   (065)-279-2289