[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Binary file transfers

gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) (12/08/89)

Is anyone out there familiar with the kermit program for pc's?  In
particular, at work we have kermit v. 2.29 for communications with
other hosts through a direct connection.  I would like to do binary
file transfers, however, I can't find anything in the kermit.doc file
that indicates how to do this.  Is it possible?  Is the only way to
do this to convert the binary file to ASCII, such as with uuencode?

Many thanks for your help!

Greg Cook                             Chemistry IS life!
gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu        Watch for the next generation of Enamines
cook@frith.egr.msu.edu             coming to a Journal near you!

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (12/08/89)

In article <5714@cps3xx.UUCP>,
gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>Is anyone out there familiar with the kermit program for pc's?  In
>particular, at work we have kermit v. 2.29 for communications with
>other hosts through a direct connection.  I would like to do binary
>file transfers, however, I can't find anything in the kermit.doc file
>that indicates how to do this.  Is it possible?  Is the only way to
>do this to convert the binary file to ASCII, such as with uuencode?

The most recent version, as far as I know, is 2.32/A (do not use
2.32 as it has a bug). I use it all the time to up and download
ASCII and binary files to/from a VAX. There is no need to do
anything special, at least on the system I use. The standard
send/receive or get commands work just as well with binary as with
ASCII files.

Richard Stanton

pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/10/89)

The latest MS-Kermit is 2.32/A.  It's available, along with many
informative support files, from SIMTEL20.

NOTE: This list was created on Mon, 4 Dec 89 21:50:47 MST.
Some files may have been added or deleted since that date.
See file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME for additional information.

Directory: PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>

AAAREAD.ME         1K  06-14-89  Information about the files in this directory
DDNTAC.HLP         4K  08-13-89  Setting TAC parameters for Kermit
EASYK110.ARC      68K  03-16-89  Kermit made easy.  EasyKermit V1.10
KER_SCP.README     2K  11-13-88  No description available
KER_SCP3.ARC      22K  11-13-88  Useful Kermit (v2.29 or above) script files
MSBOOASM.ARC      10K  03-19-89  Make ASCII files from binary files and back
MSIEM2.INI         4K  07-31-89  Kermit script maps PC keyboard for GNU Emacs
MSIIBM.ARC        40K  01-20-89  Kermit 2.32/A Script, tutorial, init files
MSKERDOC.ARC     202K  06-30-89  Kermit 2.32/A User's guide and other files
MSVGEN.ARC        57K  01-30-89  Kermit 2.32/A Generic version
MSVHP1.ARC        57K  01-30-89  Kermit 2.32/A Hewlett Packard specific
MSVIBM.ARC        81K  01-30-89  Kermit 2.32/A IBM-compatable specific
MSVRB1.ARC        61K  01-30-89  Kermit 2.32/A Rainbow specific
PCBDKER.ARC        6K  03-11-89  Collection of MS-Kermit scripts
PCPRINT.C          5K  05-04-89  Print Unix host text files on PC (req. Kermit)
PCPRINT.NR         3K  05-04-89  Unix man page for PCPRINT.C
TSKERM22.ARC      53K  11-26-89  Keypads, .bats and logging for MsKermit v2.32
WINKER4.ARC       93K  09-07-89  Kermit communications pgm v4.0 for MS-WINDOWS
XSEND.ARC         11K  05-04-89  Makes Kermit script files to send entire disk

The command to set MS-Kermit's file type for binary transfers is:

SET EOF NOCTRL-Z

The command to set Unix Kermit's file type for binary transfers is:

SET FILE TYPE BINARY

In order for this to work correctly your MS-Kermit and Unix Kermit
will have to be set for the same parity (none, even, odd, space,
mark).

If you set both Kermits for parity none that should give you an 8-bit
path (assuming your dial-up supports that).  Kermit will then transfer
the file without need for quoting 8th bits.

The latest MS-Kermit and Unix Kermit supports long packet transfers of
1000 bytes.  It's much faster than the old 94-byte Kermit packets.

SET SEND PACKET 1000
SET RECEIVE PACKET 1000

See documentation for details and/or variations in syntax.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

wws@rruxc.UUCP (W W Scott) (12/12/89)

In article <5714@cps3xx.UUCP>, gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
> Is anyone out there familiar with the kermit program for pc's?  In
> particular, at work we have kermit v. 2.29 for communications with
> other hosts through a direct connection.  I would like to do binary
> file transfers, however, I can't find anything in the kermit.doc file
> that indicates how to do this.  Is it possible?  Is the only way to
> do this to convert the binary file to ASCII, such as with uuencode?

I don't know what version I have on my PS/2, but I downloaded binary files
by putting the VAX/VMS system in server mode and then "getting" the files I
wanted.  I don't remember having to do anything special; somehow Kermit
just "knew" that the files were binary.  I read something about setting a
mode something like: "set file type binary", but I think that was for
sending files to the server.  I don't feel like looking it up until there
is a request for more information.

I also used another product (which is built on top of Kermit) to upload and
download executables between the PS/2 and a UNIX system.  I had no trouble.

Wayne Scott