[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT clone keyboard woes

cwebster@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Chris Webster) (12/03/89)

   I'm having some interesting problems with my AT clone.  (They're interesting
   because I have no idea how to fix it.)  Every so often, the keyboard locks
   up.  Usually, all three keyboard lights come on (The Num, Caps, and Scroll
   Locks that is) and the keyboard refuses to function.

   I can't locate the problem.  It happens after the machine's been on for
   a half hour or longer.  The reset button won't fix it; I must shut the
   machine down in order to regain the keyboard.  (In addition to the
   inconvience, this is going to be shorting my HD's lifespan.)  Usually, it
   seems that I jiggled the keyboard slightly to cause this, but if I try to
   duplicate it myself by shaking the keyboard and moving the cord in all
   directions, nothing happens.  (Pulling the keyboard's plug out of the
   computer and plugging it back in doesn't help either.)

       As for specifics, my machine is a generic AT clone running at 12.5mhz.
       The keyboard is by Omron, the bios and motherboard by DTK.  Since I can't
       seem to duplicate the problems by physically jiggling the keyboard, I
       presume that the CMOS that's handling the keyboard might be at fault.

       Has anyone have any ideas?  Suggestions?

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (12/05/89)

In article <1466@rodan.acs.syr.edu> cwebster@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Chris Webster) writes:

|    I'm having some interesting problems with my AT clone.  (They're interesting
|    because I have no idea how to fix it.)  Every so often, the keyboard locks
|    up.  Usually, all three keyboard lights come on (The Num, Caps, and Scroll
|    Locks that is) and the keyboard refuses to function.

	[  description of the problem  ]

|        Has anyone have any ideas?  Suggestions?

  Many cases of the keyboard getting locked come from something which
confuses the controller in the keyboard. *if* this is the case you may
wish to try unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in.

         You must decide is this might damage your equipment!

   I am not suggesting you do this, just noting that it works for me.

  I have seen a lot of this on UNIX systems, for what reason I can't
say. I have done the unplug and cleared the problem on at least five
machines, without problems. All required a replacement keyboard to
prevent the problem (you didn't want to hear that).

  Note disclamer above. If you do it and blow the caps off your keys
don't even tell me. I do it as a stopgap until the problem is solved. I
have used Northgate replacement keyboards on three of the machines and
all have fixed the problem.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

djb@bbt.UUCP (beauvais) (12/05/89)

In article <1466@rodan.acs.syr.edu> cwebster@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Chris Webster) writes:

>   I'm having some interesting problems with my AT clone...
>   Every so often, the keyboard locks
>   up...
>
>       ... I
>       presume that the CMOS that's handling the keyboard might be at fault.
>
>       Has anyone have any ideas?  Suggestions?

Do you have any TSRs installed?  Many of these re-vector the keyboard
interrupt, and can cause all kinds of nasties.  Try a simple environment -
get rid of Sidekick, keyboard macro programs, etc.  If the problem goes
away, re-install them one at a time to see which causes the problem.  If
one is found to be the culprit, try installing the beasties in different
orders.   This is a cheap solution, and it sounds familiar...

If that didn't do it, I would try a different keyboard.  Borrow one
from a friend for a couple of days.  If the problem goes away, you have a
relatively inexpensive solution.

Still no luck?  Yuk!  You may have a keyboard controller BIOS bug.   The
keyboard is not handled by the CMOS chip.  It's done with an 8042 or 8742.
That's a general purpose microcontroller chip with ROM (8042) or EPROM
(8742).  They are available from BIOS suppliers.  GOOD LUCK if you try to
convince the computer store that you have a keyboard controller bug...

The first two problems (TSRs or flaky keyboard) are MUCH more likely!

rrr@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.r.rowe) (12/07/89)

In article <1466@rodan.acs.syr.edu> cwebster@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Chris Webster) writes:

>   I'm having some interesting problems with my AT clone.  (They're interesting
>   because I have no idea how to fix it.)  Every so often, the keyboard locks
>   up.  Usually, all three keyboard lights come on (The Num, Caps, and Scroll
>   Locks that is) and the keyboard refuses to function.
>
>   I can't locate the problem.  It happens after the machine's been on for
>   a half hour or longer.  The reset button won't fix it; I must shut the
>   machine down in order to regain the keyboard.  (In addition to the
>   inconvience, this is going to be shorting my HD's lifespan.)  Usually, it
>   seems that I jiggled the keyboard slightly to cause this, but if I try to
>   duplicate it myself by shaking the keyboard and moving the cord in all
>   directions, nothing happens.  (Pulling the keyboard's plug out of the
>   computer and plugging it back in doesn't help either.)

I have had a similar problem with my AT&T PC6300.  I've felt in the past that
the problem was related to static charge which would accumulate on me.
Humid, warm weather was never a problem but come late fall, I would have
to warm boot the system once the keyboard locked-up with the num lock and
cap lock LEDs flashing.  I've been using a static strip which attaches to
the keyboard.  I simply make it a point to touch this strip before I touch
the keyboard.  This helps but not completely.  I've also used an anti-static
floor pad and haven't noticed any benefits.

If someone else can bring a little light to the problem, we would appriciate
it.  Thanks.

Rob Rowe
AT&T Bell Labs

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (12/08/89)

Thanks for specifying which family of PC you have.   In your case, it could
be either the single chip computer inside your keyboard or it could be the
single chip that sits on your motherboard that reads the computer and
supports the 80286.

Here is a method to flush out the gremlin:
First off, if the system fails regularly after about half an hour sometimes
regardless of which program you are running (in my case, my thermal problem
only showed up when running the CAD package that used that part of extended
memory :-(  I thought it was the program....) then you have a thermal problem.
Sometimes, when an unstable IC chip is about to give up permanently, it
fails when it gets warm.  Trade the keyboard (you knew that) or try running
the computer with a nude keyboard.  The latter one only works when your
system is out of warranty and the manufacturer doesn't care or if you can
get it apart without the manufacturer noticing.

The other gremlin can lurch in the 8048 single chip computer that sits by
the keyboard connector on the motherboard.  It is a 40pin chip that sits
up by the keyboard connector.  It often has a BIOS copyright sticker covering
it up.  While the keyboard lights tell me that it is inside the keyboard,
I have seen the motherboard dork everything up also.

Good luck!!!

Rob
	quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov
	uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (12/08/89)

In article <4102@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  Many cases of the keyboard getting locked come from something which
>confuses the controller in the keyboard. *if* this is the case you may
>wish to try unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in.

>         You must decide is this might damage your equipment!

>   I am not suggesting you do this, just noting that it works for me.

I've had to do the same "unplug/re-plug" reset of a keyboard _many_
times and have yet to damage one.  I've seen more (in our department)
die simply of 'old age' - for lack of a better term - than by actually
doing anything to hurt it.

kEITHe

jimc@infmx.UUCP (Jim Carius) (12/12/89)

In article <1466@rodan.acs.syr.edu# cwebster@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Chris Webster) writes:
#
[...]

I had the same problem.  Turned out the keyboard didn't like the diagnostic
routines sent by the BIOS.  I turned off checking the keyboard, and everything
works fine...