[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CGA emulation on EGA???

mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) (11/27/89)

I'm looking for a CGA emulator for an EGA card/display on behalf of a
friend, so his 4 year old daughter can play some games he has on his PC.
A quick perusal of a recent index file from Simtel20 didn't turn up
anything.  Any leads to such a program in public domain or shareware
would be greatly appreciated.  Please email!

Thanks a lot,

Martin Wittmann
mrwittma@phoenix.princeton.edu

rh1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rudi Jay Halbright) (11/28/89)

CGA software should run w/o modification on an EGA.  Ask your friend to try it.

-Rudi Halbright
 rh1m@andrew.cmu

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (11/28/89)

In article <QZQP8Qe00WB6AlN2I6@andrew.cmu.edu>, rh1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rudi Jay Halbright) writes:
> CGA software should run w/o modification on an EGA.  Ask your friend to
> try it.

This is not quite true.  Most (90+%) CGA software will run properly on an
EGA without modification, but the EGA does not provide 100% emulation of a
CGA.  For example, there are several registers in the controller which
either mean different things or which are simply ignored on the EGA.  The
most common problem is that the colors come out wrong (but still readable)
on the EGA, which is unfortunate but not a disaster.  There are other
possible incompatibilities which can cause things to fail to work at all,
but very little software ever used them.

There are some programs floating around which attempt to set up the EGA
to reduce the probability of problems.  I don't have any experience with
them (I haven't encountered anything that I couldn't persuade to run after
a reasonable fashion), so I can't make any comments on which ones work
best or how often they fix the problems, but I know they exist.

Your friend should still try running the CGA software on the EGA if it
hasn't already been tried - the probability is overwhelming that it will
work acceptably on the EGA.

						Bruce C. Wright

akcs.graf_e@tronsbox.UUCP (Graf Eberstein) (12/02/89)

>Item: 26 by *Masked* at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
>  Subj: CGA emulation on EGA???
>  Keyw: CGA emulation, EGA

Technically, your EGA card should be able to switch into lower resolution
modes on its own. If not, check the manual for forcing CGA with a DIP switch
or jumper (obvious disadvantage). Finally, the EGA card should have come
with driver software. Check that software for a switching program.

Finally, what card is it we're talking about?

horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) (12/12/89)

> I'm looking for a CGA emulator for an EGA card/display on behalf of a
> friend, so his 4 year old daughter can play some games he has on his PC.

If you have EGA and BIOS, then you already have a CGA emulator
in the BIOS. Which works fine UNLESS the CGA program tries to set the
graphic mode by attempting to directly set the CGA's CRTC registers.
Its OK on CGA displays but when the program is run with EGA,
the CRTC registers aren't equivalent and get set to irrelevant values
that screw up the EGA display mode. Fortunately, most CGA programs
set the graphics mode using BIOS and are compatible with EGA and VGA.

You probably wouldn't have asked about this unless you tried running
the program and it bombed out. By chance is the CGA program your friend
is trying to run, one of the Sesame Street games published by
Hi Tech Expressions? I got one of these for my daughter and was unable
to run it on a VGA display. It would start up and then go into blizzard mode.
Using the Turbo debugger I found it was setting the CRTC registers directly
instead of using BIOS. So I wrote a patch for it to use BIOS instead.
(while I was in there I also patched out that stupid song. No one should
be forced to listen to the theme to sesame street more than once a day. :{} )

I wrote twice to the distributer without any response,
so I guess they don't support this anymore. I can email the patches
for the "big bird's special delivery" game or specifics about how
to find this code in other programs.

John Horvath
Internet: horvath@granite.cr.bull.com
mail:	Bull HN Information Systems Inc